Traitors Gate and Connections: It's A Mind Game Support

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mediaeval

Traitors Gate and Connections: It's A Mind Game Support

Post by Mediaeval »

Will the Mist clones Traitors Gate by Daydream Software or Connections: It a Mind Game by Some Interactive
be supported by ScummVM?

P.S. I would also like to know what game engines those two games use because I haven't been able to find
out much information about them from the internet.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Both games were built on Director, Connections on Director 4, and Traitor Gate on Director 6.

Since there was some work on the Director engine, eventually we could get at least Connections supported. But no timeline or promises, as the work on the engine has stalled.

Eugene
Mediaeval

Post by Mediaeval »

Thanks for the information. I am really excited at the fact that Director is being looked
at as possible engine in ScummVM. However, I am in no rush for it to be implemented
because I have some old computers that run most of the Director games and demos.

How will you emulate or trick Director games that require Quicktime, for video, into running in ScummVM?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Mediaeval wrote: How will you emulate or trick Director games that require Quicktime, for video, into running in ScummVM?
We already have support for QT videos, and for a long time. There are no tricks in the technology.

Eugene
Mediaeval

Post by Mediaeval »

Thanks for adding the games to the Wiki. Hopefully it will save other peoples time.
However, the Traitors Gate entry is mislabeled Traitors Game.
maccentris

Re: Traitors Gate and Connections: It's A Mind Game Support

Post by maccentris »

Hello! Does anybody know if Connections will be supported anytime soon? Seeing that it's been suggested for a while but no word on whether it will be supported yet. Thanks!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

As mentioned above, Connections is a Director 4 games, and there is work in progress to support those:
https://www.scummvm.org/news/20210817/

But the answer to your question depends on what you mean by "soon". And this also depends on the motivation and availability of the developers who are working on it (during their free time and as a hobby). This might happen next year, or in 3 years. But while I cannot say when it will be supported, I can at least say that there is a good chance it will be supported someday.
maccentris

Post by maccentris »

Great! I'm looking forward to it, I own the Mac version of the game (I swear I do not remember if they are hybrid for Windows as well, need to search my closet) otherwise, I "don't mind" making Amazon a little richer getting a (used) Windows set of discs. Too bad we can't send royalties to the original authors of these great games, wish there was a way.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

maccentris wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:59 pm I do not remember if they are hybrid for Windows as well
I think there is a good chance it is. But that doesn't really matter if it is or not. The platform for which a game was originally released and the one on which you use ScummVM do not need to be the same. You can for example play Amiga or DOS version of games on macOS with ScummVM, and you can play Mac version of games on Windows. If you are on Windows it can be a bit more complicated to extract the file from a Mac CD, but we have instructions to do that in the documentation: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.5.1/use_ ... files.html
maccentris

Post by maccentris »

Great! In that sense, I have all that I need :) I'll wait patiently then!

Liliana