Secret of Monkey Island 1992 mystery release

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Whig Boop

Secret of Monkey Island 1992 mystery release

Post by Whig Boop »

I found a copy of MI1 on CD-ROM in a cardboard sleeve, IBM PC version from 1992, and I was wondering if anyone has a clue as to where it came from? I can't locate any releases on CD-ROM that came in this particular packaging online.

I realize this might not be a very relevant topic on this site, so feel free to say so. Anyways, thanks from Norway!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Could be a promotional copy or a re-release?

Could you post a photo of the sleeve and cd-rom and list the contents of it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Wikipedia states that this is the CD_ROM re-release from 1992
Whig Boop

Post by Whig Boop »

I'm a bit of a collector, and so I kind of obsess about particularities and differences of releases, I guess games aren't very often archived in the same way as say vinyl records, but I can't find this version in a similar presentation.

Still will look pretty killer on the shelf.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I would have thought that as it's manufactured by Creative Labs that it was originally given away with a Creative Labs CD-Rom drive or sound card.
Whig Boop

Post by Whig Boop »

That's probably it! Makes perfect sense, damn, my detective skills fell through on that one. Thank you so much.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I think this is the same copy that my dad bought back in the day. It didn't come in a box, but was shrink-wrapped with that cardboard CD case and the manual. I still have it. He cut the cardboard case up to fit it inside a standard jewel case, though. He just found it on the rack in a computer store. Don't remember which one at all. I remember being there, though. We were both confused why it didn't come with a box. Didn't come with a sound card but that doesn't mean it didn't initially. Maybe it was refurbished or something?
Whig Boop

Post by Whig Boop »

Thanks for the replies, I just ran through the game and it seems to be the same as other PC CD-ROM 256 color releases as far as I could tell. My first run on a legitimate version since early 90's.
Simonnex

Post by Simonnex »

Creative Labs is such a throwback in itself...wow. I can't believe you even remembered that.
Aractus

Re: Secret of Monkey Island 1992 mystery release

Post by Aractus »

That's the standard 5-language PC CD-ROM version. It was released in two ways - with the disc, the slip-case, and a manual (printed in 5 languages) with a blue colour EULA attached to the back, and that was the main release, the second was in a big-box and the EULA is printed on a white card and is not stuck to the back of the manual in that version but they are otherwise the same.