Lands of Lore ?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

leo43

Lands of Lore ?

Post by leo43 »

Any chance for Lands of Lore to be supported ?

Leo.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

No.
leo43

Post by leo43 »

Why ?

Doesn't fit in "adventure" category ?

Any other reason ?

Leo.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

I think the "doesn't fit in adventure category" sums it up pretty well.

Although don't get me wrong; from my experience the non-inclusion of non-adventure games seems more to do with the core teams wanting to focus more on adventure games than other game types. If you (or anyone else) were willing to go the effort of completely reverse engineering the game's data formats and then make a ScummVM module for it yourself, I don't think the team would be hostile to including it in the distribution.
clem

Post by clem »

dreammaster wrote:I don't think the team would be hostile to including it in the distribution.
or there could be a spinoff, like MAME and MESS

clem
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I'd really like something like ScummVM but for RPGs with support for games like Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, TES: Arena and Daggerfall... *dreams* :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

john_doe wrote:I'd really like something like ScummVM but for RPGs with support for games like Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, TES: Arena and Daggerfall... *dreams* :)
The Spectalum project supposedly aims to re-create Eye of the Beholder II but as I don't have that game myself I couldn't say how well it's succeeding.
fac

Post by fac »

dreammaster wrote:I think the "doesn't fit in adventure category" sums it up pretty well.

Although don't get me wrong; from my experience the non-inclusion of non-adventure games seems more to do with the core teams wanting to focus more on adventure games than other game types. If you (or anyone else) were willing to go the effort of completely reverse engineering the game's data formats and then make a ScummVM module for it yourself, I don't think the team would be hostile to including it in the distribution.
It's true that Lands of Lore is not a adventure game. But if anyone ever decided to pick it up, i think at least the data format shouldn't be very different from Kyrandia2/3.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

john_doe wrote:I'd really like something like ScummVM but for RPGs with support for games like Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, TES: Arena and Daggerfall... *dreams* :)
Don't forget the early Might and Magic series (before Might and Magic 6).

shameless advertising:
If you want to help on reverse engineering some of these games, feel free to help on the REWiki. I have some of those classic dungeon-crawl style RPGs myself (Dungeon Master 2, Stonekeep, Might&Magic, ...) and I do want to work on reverse-engineering them.
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

The problem with RE'ing these old rpg's, most of the time they were not scripted, and the data files are just graphics, so all the game logic is buried in the exec...
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

That is true, I can verify this at least for Might and Magic. However it is still possible to re-implement such games, it's just more work. You have to separate the hard-coded data into external files, like the kyra, lure and BASS modules do in ScummVM (or like the GemRB project handles it by adding more table data files).

Maybe someone really really wants to do this for these games, who knows. And in that case, the hard work of reverse-engineering has already been done by others so he/she can concentrate on the interesting part ;-)
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

I'd love to RE wasteland :) or a generic goldbox engine for por/cab/ssb/etc...
clem

Post by clem »

I'd love seeing Betrayal at Krondor again - probably with Irrlicht3D as 3D engine though :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:I'd love seeing Betrayal at Krondor again - probably with Irrlicht3D as 3D engine though :)
There's the xBaK project, but I haven't tried it myself. They claim to be "in pre-alpha stage".
clem

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:There's the xBaK project, but I haven't tried it myself. They claim to be "in pre-alpha stage".
whoa, that looks promising!