Tales From Monkey Island - Audio Files

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Fabiosek

Tales From Monkey Island - Audio Files

Post by Fabiosek »

Hello everyone!

I have a question about the audio files from the game "Tales from Monkey Island". Namely, files with game data are mainly ttarch files, and those that interest me are sound (speech/voice) files.

For example, the first episode "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" has a file "2_MonkeyIsland101_pc_voice.ttarch".

This file contains .aud and .vox files. I noticed that .aud files are for the main character (Guybrush), and .vox for the rest of the characters. I opened this file using the program "Telltale Speech Extractor". In this program you can listen to these files and save them in a different format (.ogg, mp3 or wav).

However, I unpacked the files with another "ttarchext" program.

And here my question begins: How to convert mp3s, wav files or ogg to .aud or .vox?

I want to do Polish dubbing for this game.

Technical information from the creator (maybe help, I do not know about it)
Technical details:
The speech files used in Telltale games have changed over time, generally speaking there are 4 types of audio file used:

(.VOX) Vox V1 - These use the Speex codec to store the speech, however the Speex data is not stored in a vorbis container. The audio is divided up into 'packets', some of which are encrypted.

(.VOX) Vox V2 - These are esentially the same as Vox V1 - but the file header is different and there's no encryption.

(.AUD) Ogg audio - These are standard Ogg files with an extra header. The format of the header is not always the same and changes between games.
Regards!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Since this is not directly related to ScummVM I moved this to the Junkyard forum.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Fabiosek

Post by Fabiosek »

But this program only runs .ttarch. You can export to ogg, wav and mp3 just like in the program "Telltale Speech Explorer". And how do you convert .ogg, mp3 or wav files to .vox or .aud?

PS. The "ttarchext" program can build ttarch, but it builds a "fake" file with this format. I unpacked "2 Monkey Island 101_pc_voice.ttarch" I repacked the .vox and .aud files again. After running this program (Telltale Explorer), it displays that the file is in the wrong format.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I see, my mistake. I believe there is no straightforward way to convert back and repack the files. Telltale develops their own tools and Telltale Explorer is game-specific, so it's no surprise it throws errors with a modified file. You could perhaps contact the dev of Telltale Explorer for help.