ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > Emulating MT-32 on QFG1 EGA - intermittent sound, low volume
Emulating MT-32 on QFG1 EGA - intermittent sound, low volume
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
pyronic

Emulating MT-32 on QFG1 EGA - intermittent sound, low volume 

Hi,

I'm trying to play Quest for Glory 1 EGA using the MT-32 emulator for the sound.

When the game starts the volume is mostly fine but once I load a savegame it goes very very very quiet. The sound also only works intermittently - I will enter areas I know have certain music to them and the music just won't play.

I can get the volume up by editing the game in the ScummVM interface and increasing the MIDI gain, but this results in a dreadful hiss in the background (like you're turning up the volume too much on a radio with a very weak signal) and the result sounds crappy.

Does anybody know what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Post Thu May 10, 2018 5:09 pm 
almeath

I do not know how ScummVM interacts with the sound driver files in Sierra SCI games, but there are lots of patches and updated drivers available here:

http://www.sierrahelp.com

I know that (in DOSBox at least) it is possible to fix some sound related problems in Sierra games by swapping the sound drivers from other titles that use the same revision of the SCI engine, or using updated/patched drivers available on the above site, and others.

Post Sun May 13, 2018 3:28 pm 
pyronic

quote:
Originally posted by almeath
I do not know how ScummVM interacts with the sound driver files in Sierra SCI games, but there are lots of patches and updated drivers available here:

http://www.sierrahelp.com

I know that (in DOSBox at least) it is possible to fix some sound related problems in Sierra games by swapping the sound drivers from other titles that use the same revision of the SCI engine, or using updated/patched drivers available on the above site, and others.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!
Post Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 am 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

He already got locked for violating rule #0...

pyronic

Hi,

I'm trying to play Quest for Glory 1 EGA using the MT-32 emulator for the sound.

When the game starts the volume is mostly fine but once I load a savegame it goes very very very quiet. The sound also only works intermittently - I will enter areas I know have certain music to them and the music just won't play.

I can get the volume up by editing the game in the ScummVM interface and increasing the MIDI gain, but this results in a dreadful hiss in the background (like you're turning up the volume too much on a radio with a very weak signal) and the result sounds crappy.

I did download the MT-32 emulation files from a forum, but I don't know if I have the exact right ones.

Does anybody know what might be wrong?
/quote

Post Thu May 17, 2018 10:54 am 
almeath

quote:
Originally posted by Raziel
He already got locked for violating rule #0...

Sorry, I did not notice there were two identical posts with one mentioning the download and the other not. I responded to this post in good faith.
Post Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 pm 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

@almeath

No sweat, my post was aimed at a mod to lock this thread as well

Post Sat May 19, 2018 4:22 pm 
Reply to topic