monkey island 2 : ultimate talkie edition

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mehdi.moha

monkey island 2 : ultimate talkie edition

Post by mehdi.moha »

Hi guys

is there any hope that someone continue works on "monkei island 2 talkie edition :" ?

as you know it has been stopped on V 0.2
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Ohh but there's a talkie version...
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland2
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Don't worry, I will finish it eventually. Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition took some time too, but it's there now. Keep in mind, that this is a project in my free time.
mehdi.moha

Post by mehdi.moha »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Don't worry, I will finish it eventually. Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition took some time too, but it's there now. Keep in mind, that this is a project in my free time.
Hey , i just wanna say thank you soooooooooo much ,

you know , i had atari ,nes ,super nintendo , sega , ps1 , ps2 , ps3 ,xbox360 ,psp and now i'm xperia play owner.

i'm never fun of pc games and playing with keyboard !

but now , i'm really carzy of monkey island story , i'm playing that from monkey islan 1 ( via scummvm on xperia play ) the secret of monkey island is now talkie :)

monkey island 2 still remns on beta , and it's really appreciated if you make it talkie .

thank you soo much
loebe

Post by loebe »

Is there any chance to see the MI2 Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder finished? 0.2 works so far, but I'd die to play MI2 with all the new sound, music, ambience and original graphics in ScummVM.
I'm a software developer myself, maybe I can help?
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

Came back here to check on this, would love to see it finished up one day 8) I loved playing through MI1 with voices, so thanks for that!

e: also lucasforums looks to be gone, so if there's anywhere else to follow future progress on this, please let me know!
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

OMA

Re: monkey island 2 : ultimate talkie edition

Post by OMA »

Hi! What happened to the "Ultimate Talkie Edition" builder for Monkey Island 2? It only went up to 0.2 beta, and while it works, it lacks sound effects and the beautiful music of the Special Edition of MI2 (only the original AdLib / MT-32 music can be heard).
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

OMA wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:10 am while it works, it lacks sound effects
When I last looked at it, most of the sounds were in a format you couldn't get any decoders for free for. For some reason, they choose to have them in a different format to the voice acting.
OMA wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:10 am and the beautiful music of the Special Edition of MI2
Those are not SCUMM V5 compatible and thus were never on the todo list to begin with.

When I do an update, it probably would be mainly for bug fixing, and maybe native General MIDI support, as I did on the first game.
OMA

Post by OMA »

Hello @LogicDeLuxe! Thanks for replying and for the additional information.

Your work on the Ultimate Talkie Edition builder for The Secret of Monkey Island was top notch. Thanks a lot for that!

About your replies:
LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:22 am When I last looked at it, most of the sounds were in a format you couldn't get any decoders for free for. For some reason, they choose to have them in a different format to the voice acting.
What format are those sounds in, then?
LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:22 am
OMA wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:10 am and the beautiful music of the Special Edition of MI2
Those are not SCUMM V5 compatible and thus were never on the todo list to begin with.
Why are they not compatible? Why can't the music just be encoded in OGG or FLAC like in Secret of Monkey Island?
If the problem is ripping the music from the game, couldn't we provide our own OGG/FLAC files for each music? Or is the problem that they used a new implementation of iMuse incompatible with the old one in the original MI2? As far as I know the music in the new Special Edition versions is not MIDI or FM, but regular audio. Being audio instead of MIDI notes, how did they manage to make the transitions?
LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:22 am When I do an update, it probably would be mainly for bug fixing, and maybe native General MIDI support, as I did on the first game.
At least, MT-32 seems to work fine, which is nice.

Thanks for your time!
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

> Being audio instead of MIDI notes, how did they manage to make the transitions?

I'm guessing they recorded every possible transition (e.g. when you move to different places on the first island), and then faded from first area -> transition -> second area.
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

OMA wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:47 pm
LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:22 am When I last looked at it, most of the sounds were in a format you couldn't get any decoders for free for. For some reason, they choose to have them in a different format to the voice acting.
What format are those sounds in, then?
They are xWMA, some of the music is in that format for MI1 SE too. Thats why the builder for MI1SE requires xWMAEncode.exe - that's Microsoft's tool to decode them. For a while that was the only tool that could decode xWMA. However FFMPEG can decode xWMA now so that could be used.
WeirdEssential

Post by WeirdEssential »

Hello.
Are there any updates about the MI2 talkie version development?
WeirdEssential

Post by WeirdEssential »

Hello again.
Are there any plans for SE track implementation, just like MI1? I really want to listen to those tracks.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I don't really see how that's possible. It was easy for MI1 because the original DOS version just uses CD audio tracks.