Better Music for GM ScummVM (and DOSBox) games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.771

Post by cwadge »

cwadge wrote:[...] Though I'm pretty sure they are mixed to exactly the same relative attenuation as the previous aah chorus preset, I'm going to have to double-check that just to put my mind at ease. Maybe I'm just not used to the chorus sounding so distinct in a mix.
Indeed, it was just bias on my part. I've metered that preset and determined that it is precisely where it should be in terms of volume.

But on that note, I have found some slight tuning problems with the higher-velocity flute samples (thanks, almeath!). These have been corrected, along with an oversight where reverb was actually being added to the trombone twice, resulting in over reverberation.

https://pub.dotbalm.org/misc/FatBoy-v0771.7z

This sample features the flute in concert with several other instruments, so any tuning issues should be apparent:

▶ RPG Maker XP - Field 3

Changelog:
• High-velocity flute samples digitally tuned to correct pitch issues in certain keys
• Removed redundant reverberation effect on trombone
cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.773

Post by cwadge »

Slowly but surely inching towards a 1.0 release, FatBoy v0.773 is now available for testing:

https://pub.dotbalm.org/misc/FatBoy-v0773.7z

Among other things, this release sees changes to the spacialization of several piano variants, as demoed here:

▶ Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
▶ Roland grand piano demo

Changelog:
• Spacialized acoustic grand, bright acoustic, electric grand, honky tonk paino, Rhodes keyboard, Hammond keyboard, harpsichord, and clavinet.
• Digital tuning of the trombone's samples came close to correct, but due to the slide nature of real trombone samples, some were off by a few cents. Corrected those by hand using a digital guitar tuner as reference.
cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.775

Post by cwadge »

I was thinking to myself, "You know what? FatBoy just isn't FAT enough. And even spacialized, those old pianos just aren't that impressive." To remedy this, I've replaced the acoustic grand and bright grand presets with much more expressive (and much larger) samples.

https://pub.dotbalm.org/misc/FatBoy-v0775.7z

A piece showcasing the acoustic grand:

▶ Beethoven - Sonata 27, Opus 90

And one for the bright grand:

▶ Beethoven - Sonata 8, Opus 13

The playing is a little mechanical, as these arrangements are basically just sheet music, but I think you get the idea.

Changelog:
• Replaced Acoustic Grand and Bright Grand GM presets with brand new ones. I didn't make these pianos, and I'm unsure who to credit; the SF2's were simply called "User Bank" and contained no comments.
almeath

Post by almeath »

It is sounding great, I really cannot fault it. :)

I notice the size of the file decreased by about 100MB?
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

almeath wrote:It is sounding great, I really cannot fault it. :)
Excellent, thank you! I'm still trying to make it as good as it can possibly be though, so I've already made a few more improvements. I'll probably do another minor release this weekend.

That said, I really do love that new acoustic grand.
almeath wrote:I notice the size of the file decreased by about 100MB?
The compressed file is about 212MB, whereas the uncompressed SF2 is roughly 315MB.
cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.777

Post by cwadge »

This has been sitting on my server all day, but I've only just had the chance to post about it:

https://pub.dotbalm.org/misc/FatBoy-v0777.7z

▶ King's Quest V - Oasis Theme

Changelog:
• Replaced hand clap sample used in many drumsets, etc. with a much better sample recorded by Nikolay Georgiev
• Spacialized more instruments
• Replaced Calliope pad with a much more full and interesting one

Addendum:
I'm still not entirely happy with the GM flute preset and, having scoured the internet for a better one with a compatible license, I've given up. Instead, I'm making a new one out of samples from the University of Iowa Electronic Music Samples library. I still need to do a lot of looping, tuning, etc. But here's how it sounds so far:

▶ Discworld - Track 72 (bird chirps removed)
almeath

Post by almeath »

I have not had much time for testing recently, but I do look forward to hearing how you progress with the new flute sample. I thought it was already sounding really good but I guess there is always room for improvement.
cwadge

Post by cwadge »

almeath wrote:I have not had much time for testing recently, but I do look forward to hearing how you progress with the new flute sample. I thought it was already sounding really good but I guess there is always room for improvement.
Well, we'll see how it works out. If it sounds worse when finished than the one I've already put together, I'll scrap it rather than jamming it in and reducing the quality.

I've also been spacializing more presets in my spare time, which is unfortunately not a lot at present. As soon as I have enough progress to bother with another test release, I'll get it uploaded. :wink:
cwadge

Which trumpet?

Post by cwadge »

Question: which trumpet do you think sounds better?

▶ Trumpet 1
▶ Trumpet 2

I've been using the same base trumpet samples for almost two decades now, and I've finally found some stereo samples that *might* give 'em a run for their money. They do need some serious work, but I've got them to the point where they're basically usable for demo purposes. Let me know what you think.
almeath

Re: Which trumpet?

Post by almeath »

cwadge wrote:Question: which trumpet do you think sounds better?

▶ Trumpet 1
▶ Trumpet 2

I've been using the same base trumpet samples for almost two decades now, and I've finally found some stereo samples that *might* give 'em a run for their money. They do need some serious work, but I've got them to the point where they're basically usable for demo purposes. Let me know what you think.
The second one sounds less harsh and tinny. Though it is hard to say how they will sound in an ensemble.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

I like that portamento much better on trumpet 1
cwadge

Re: Which trumpet?

Post by cwadge »

Thanks for the feedback so far. Here are two samples, one with the old trumpet and one with the new. Keep in mind that the new trumpet is nowhere near finished and, most noticeably, it's still highly out of tune in a few keys. But if I do put the work into completing it, obviously that issue will be corrected.

When recording the newer trumpet I totally forgot I had my alpha-quality flute being chainloaded too, which is itself out of tune, so please overlook dissonant chords and focus on the sound of the instruments. That said:

▶ SQ1 (VGA) closing scenes - Trumpet 1
▶ SQ1 (VGA) closing scenes - Trumpet 2

I'm planning to put more effort into spacializing more instruments in FB and perhaps doing another beta release this evening, which will not include either the new trumpet nor the new flute regardless of whether I choose to move forward with either of them.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

I really like trumpet1, but it is great for solo performances. In an ensamble it dominates too much I suppose.
cwadge

FatBoy BETA Soundfont updated to version 0.778

Post by cwadge »

Put some more work into spatializing presets to sit where they're supposed to in a stereo or surround mix.

https://pub.dotbalm.org/misc/FatBoy-v0778.7z

And of course, a quick sample:

▶ Gravis UltraSound Demo - GDVIB6.MID

Changelog:
• Spatialized several dozen presets
• Some minor adjustments to reverb
almeath

Post by almeath »

Do you think you will introduce the new trumpet or flute by the v1 release, or are those a longer term project?