[REQUEST] double subtitles (multi-language subtitles)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

woka

[REQUEST] double subtitles (multi-language subtitles)

Post by woka »

Hello guys,

since many years from time to time I start to tell myself how cool it would be if scummVM could display the subtitles of the games (or at least some of them) in two languages at the same time.
It would be an incredibly useful tool to help in learning foreign languages!

I did some searches in the past and I remember that there were a couple of games that were displaying double subtitles as the result of a bug that eventually got corrected.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to implement such an option and how to eventually suggest it to the developers (I couldn't find any issue tracker on the scummVM's github page).
Do you guys have any suggestion or idea about it? Thanks
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I have an original of LSL3 which is doing that (FR+EN). You can chose in the original English, French or both. I think I also have a eco quest (1 or 2?) DE+EN (not completely sure, I have to search).

For the other titles, it's not really simple, but we could keep the idea for the future (when it's possible).

Just a practical question: when hotspots are named, what would you display? one language by default, or both one above the other (the latter being good to learn, but a mess to implement)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Strangerke wrote:I have an original of LSL3 which is doing that (FR+EN). You can chose in the original English, French or both. I think I also have a eco quest (1 or 2?) DE+EN (not completely sure, I have to search).

For the other titles, it's not really simple, but we could keep the idea for the future (when it's possible).

Just a practical question: when hotspots are named, what would you display? one language by default, or both one above the other (the latter being good to learn, but a mess to implement)
Just a crazy idea...

What about displaying only the one language that was chosen by default (the one, the whole game will play in) and on pressing a key (i.e."t" for translate) display the second chosen language?

That would be even greater to learn a language (or at least vocabulary) :-)

edit: That would be only practicable for text that will stay on screen long enough (hotspots) but not for subtitles obviously.