Would Might and Magic II be possible on the Xeen new engine?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vanfanel

Would Might and Magic II be possible on the Xeen new engine?

Post by vanfanel »

Hi there,

One of my most beloved Amiga games was, for some reason, "Might and Magic II: Gates to another world".
Seeing the incredible progress of the Xeen engine, would it be possible for that engine to support previous M&M games like this one, or are they too different from the Xeen games?

Thanks!
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

They're just too different I'm afraid, and would require being reverse engineered from scratch. Might and Magic III might be more feasible, since it seems similar to 4/5, and even uses the same CC file format. I haven't looked into how difficult it will be to add support for it, though, since I have enough work at the moment to just get 4, 5, and Swords all working.

That's not to say II and/or I will never be supported. Once 4/5/Swords is supported, it may encourage others to work on adding support for the earlier games. One thing I'd love seeing is whether it would be possible to merge the gameplay of I or II with the Xeen user interface. I've never played either, because all the tacky on-screen text kind of put me off. But if we could translate it into the Xeen UI it would, for me, make for a much more enjoyable experience. Sort of like how Exult backported the Inventory dolls from Serpent Isle into The Black Gate. :)
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

I totally agree on the interface part, Dreammaster.
If you ever experiment with adding M&M II story to Xeen, I'll be the first to test!
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

vanfanel wrote:I totally agree on the interface part, Dreammaster.
If you ever experiment with adding M&M II story to Xeen, I'll be the first to test!
I'll keep that in mind :)