ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > New scummvm installation cannot find saved games of GOG game
New scummvm installation cannot find saved games of GOG game
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Praetorian

New scummvm installation cannot find saved games of GOG game 

Hi,

I've recently installed LOOM (GOG, Talkie version) which runs with ScummVM support. But it uses an old ScummVM version, which has a glitch with mouse control in up-to-date Windows 10 PCs -- my laptop is affected by that. GOG uses a portable setup of ScummVM as far as I can tell, which it puts in the game's installation folder (in a subfolder) and runs it with a shortcut.

So after saving the game a couple of times, I installed the recent 2.0 stable version of ScummVM -- with a proper installation in Program Files.

But this new ScummVM installation cannot find the save games of the GOG's ScummVM no matter what I try. I can point it to where I clearly see the saved game files but it still won't see them. I've tried setting the Save Path too, but this didn't solve it either.

This is also an issue with other (GOG ScummVM supported) titles that I tried, like the recent release CoMI.

The only (quick and dirty) workaround for this was to copy-paste the ScummVM files from the proper installation (2.0) over the ones in GOG's portable...

Any ideas about what could be the issue?

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: New scummvm installation cannot find saved games of GOG  

quote:
Originally posted by Praetorian

I think the file name of the savegames is often based on the game's "ID" (that you can see in the "Edit Game" dialog). If the game got a different ID when you added it in ScummVM 2.0 than it had in GOG's version, you may have to rename the save files.
Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:24 pm 
Praetorian

Re: New scummvm installation cannot find saved games of GOG 

quote:
Originally posted by eriktorbjorn
quote:
Originally posted by Praetorian

I think the file name of the savegames is often based on the game's "ID" (that you can see in the "Edit Game" dialog). If the game got a different ID when you added it in ScummVM 2.0 than it had in GOG's version, you may have to rename the save files.

Yes, this is what's happening! Smile

For the case of Loom CD Talkie. Gog's ScummVM (GUI) shows it as just "loom" and official ScummVM shows it as "loom-vga".

For the Curse of Monkey Island, GOG's portable ScummVM has it as gameID: "monkey3" where official ScummVM has it as "comi", even though they are the same build: "2.0.0 Dec 9 2017 07:14:40"

Further checking into this revealed that both of these inconsistencies happen only if I start the games from the GOG launchers who seem to be the ones setting the different gane id. Eg:
code:
C:\Games\Loom\scummvm\scummvm.exe -c "C:\Games\Loom\loom.ini" loom

and
code:
"C:\Games\The Curse of Monkey Island\scummvm\scummvm.exe" -c "..\monkey3.ini" monkey3

And in more technical details, monkey3.ini has a line under its [monkey3] section that set the gameID as "comi" -- however, the gameID will still appear as monkey3 in ScummVM GUI if launched by the above launcher shortcut.

Loom.ini has a similar line under [loom] section that sets the id to "loom" (and not "lomm-vga").

Both launchers result is some text being written in ScummVMs console window that seems to be indicative of the issue:
For Loom:
code:
User picked target 'loom' (gameid 'loom')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCUMM [all games]
  Starting 'Loom'

For CoMI:
code:
User picked target 'monkey3' (gameid 'comi')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCUMM [all games]
  Starting 'The Curse of Monkey Island'
WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!

Thank you for your help, eriktorbjorn!
Post Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:04 am 
Reply to topic