ScummVM2.0.0 issue on Android v7.0

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

stephan92

ScummVM2.0.0 issue on Android v7.0

Post by stephan92 »

Hi,

I just have donwloaded ScummVm 2.0 from Playstore and I have games issues: To sumarize, I am not able to start any LucasArts games which systematically crash the application:
Tested with
PC version : Day of the tentacle, Full Throttle, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Monkey Islan 1 & 2, Loom, Maniac Mansion
AMIGA version : Maniac Mansion.
Games provide from original supports and work perfectly with SCUMMVM v1.9 on another tablet Android v4

The following games have tested and seem to work fine :
PC Version: Gabriel Knight 1 & 2, Legend of Kyrianda 1, 2 and 3, Lands Of Lore, Leisure Suit Larry 6, Broken Sword 1 & 2, Phantasmagoria, the 7th guest, Simon the sorcerer 1 &2
AMIGA version : Elvira 1 & 2

Tablette : Samsung Galaxy tab A6
Android v7.0 with kernel 3.18.14 (non rooted)

Do I have missed something about LucasArts Games ?

Thank you

Cheers
goetz

Post by goetz »

There is also a beta version on the Play Store. If you scroll down on the app page, you can click to join the beta program (if I remember right). Could you try that one please?

I am running the latest beta from the Play Store on stock Android 8.1 and all Lucasarts games are running fine. I have the German versions of the games you listed, and additionally Monkey Island 3/COMI, Indy 3, Zak, The Dig. Have not tried Full Throttle for some time.
stephan92

Post by stephan92 »

Hi Goetz,

I will check for the beta version quickly, and post the result as soon as possible.

Thanks for the feedback.
stephan92

Post by stephan92 »

Hi Goetz,

I have joined the Beta tester program, and have a new tab in my application menu now.
ScummVm appears in the the application tab and also in the Beta tab.
But it's seem to be the same APK file and still have the same issue.
On play store I can't find any link to get a beta version.
Is there a beta version available for the version 2.0 ?

From the web site, I have download the last daily version.
Unfortunatelly the APK file does work and I got a message that the APK is corrupt (even if I select the righ plateform according to my tablet).

If you have any idea?

Thank you

Cheers
goetz

Post by goetz »

Hi Stephan,

thanks for checking. It seems that with the 2.0.0 version the versions in the beta tester and regular mode are the same. Sorry for the trouble! :( But at least in the future you will get newer versions quicker this way, and one may work with the Lucasarts games on your device. :)

Maybe you could also check with one of the latest builds from the ScummVM web site to see if that works?

My guess is that this is indeed a problem with the specific device (Samsung Android flavour?) and the scumm engine. So probably the best would be to raise a bug in the bug tracker. Please see sticky post in this board and the FAQ on how this works best.

Goetz
stephan92

Post by stephan92 »

Hi Goetz,

That's ok, I will regulary check the future beta version.
Regarding the last build available on the SCUMMVM web site, I have tried and unfortunatelly this build does not work at all on my device. I have a message that the APK may be corrupt. And I am sure th have selected the right target (the ARM version).

As suggested, I will consult the bug report and add a new report if there is no similar issue reported.
If I can bring some relevant information to help the developers, I will be pleased to do it.
And I will update this post as soon I have news.
Thank you for your help.

Stephan
stephan92

Post by stephan92 »

Hi Goetz,
Hi everyone,

After many tests, I think to have identified the phenomenon. And if I am able to systematically reproduce the issue , I am also able to workaround it:

LucasArts games do not start as soon I switch the SCUMMVM GUI in French (I didn't try with other languages).
As soon I switch back the GUI with the default option (in english for instance), all games (LucasArts and other games) work perfectly.

I can not explain :
- why I have this issue on SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB A6 and SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S3 only, when SONY Xperia smartphone and ACER ICONIA Tab do not have this issue.
- why only LucasArts games where impacted when the other games was working correctly as soon I turn on the French plugin.

I hope one day, someone could bring an answer :-)

Cheers.
goetz

Post by goetz »

Bonjour Stephan,

That is interesting! Just did a little check with the German version of Monkey Island 2 I have. With default GUI language (English) it starts fine. With GUI language switched to German, it starts fine, too. With GUI language switched to French, ScummVM crashes immediately after double clicking the game in the list.

Seems you have found the issue here. :)

I never moved away from the default language, did not even reemember that you could change the GUI language.

At least now you know how you can play these games again. ;)

Goetz
stephan92

Post by stephan92 »

Hallo Goetz

On the version 1.9, I used the french interface, so I have systematically switch the new version too.
You don't imagine the number of tests I have performed before thinking to keep the default interface :-)

So if it's work in German GUI too, that's mean the French plugin has a bug. Although it's not a critical issue, I will put a post on the scummvm bug tracker.
In the meanwhile I let the default language (I am sorry to not try the German GUI, I can't read German without Google translator ;-) )

Cheers

Stephan