Trying "Quest for Glory" (part 3) on Scumm VM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nowhere Girl

Trying "Quest for Glory" (part 3) on Scumm VM

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Parts 3 and 4 of "Quest for Glory" are very buggy. Some people who have played it on DOSBox may recognize a few bugs: not being able to "formally" offer help to Harami, Laibon getting annoyed without reason and saying "So, friend of Rakeesh, what have you come here for?", the "They don't seem to be speaking your language" bug after you ask Uhura (in her baby son's presence, hence "they") how to make the Leopard Lady accept you... I use methods intended to bypass these bugs, such as slowing the game down through DOSBox, but they don't seem to help. So I decided to try if these bugs appear when playing through Scumm VM as well.
So, now an important technical question. I have only played "Quest for Glory" games through DOSBox previously, so I just don't know. How to import my hero? In DOSBox you need to - after you save your character in the previous game - just copy the file to the next game's folder. But on Scumm VM it doesn't work. Where should I put the file so that the program recognizes it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

There's an entry in the WIKI for that (albeit, only QfG III is "supported" right now:
Miscellaneous
It is possible to import a character from the previous Quest for Glory games into Quest for Glory III and continue from the stats earned from those games. If you want to use a saved character from the original sierra interpreter, you will need to rename the character file to "qfg2-[character-filename].sav", otherwise the file won't get listed on the import screen.
Hope it will help

edit: Changed the wiki entry accordingly
Last edited by Raziel on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Yes, but where is the save path? Sorry for asking such basic things, but I'm no geek, no nerd, just a game lover and I don't know where to put the file...
Actually, I did a bit of search myself. I put the file into AppData/Roaming/ScummVM and renamed it "qfg2_wizard". The game still doesn't "see" it. SHould I change the "underliner" to hyphen? Is it the right folder? Why are there no subfolders for separate games?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Woh, woh, easy there... :-)

Ok, lets start from the beginning...

You seem to be a Windows user, didn't know that.

Easiest test case would be you change the save file name to qfg2-wizard.sav

If that doesn't help, you go into ScummVM's options (Paths) and change the save path to C:/ (so all save files, including your character save file goes in and gets read out of C:/) - that given that you have write access, being the admin of your gear.

You can later create a subdir somwhere else you like and can find easy for your saves (so C:/ doesn't get cluttered over time) and point the save dir there. (Also make sure to move all of your save files there, *if* you take that step)

Try that, move your character save file to C:/ and try again importing it.

I don't have a QfG character file and i'm not on windows, so i can't test it myself, but i guess the naming of the file should be (in your case)

qfg2-wizard.sav

or so i understand it

edit: Changed the character save names to the correct ones to not get mixed up in false information
Last edited by Raziel on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I just tried Quest for Glory 2

and it tells me to put my character save file in the save game drawer (like i said above) and call it

qfg1-[character].sav

So, to make it work with QfG2 you need to name your file: qfg2-wizard.sav

Edit: Also updated the WIKI information
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

If I understand properly this file should game in the ScummVM save path. See the README for information of where the default save path is on your system, or see the User Manual for information on how to define a custom save path.