The case against aspect correction of Monkey Island

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

Post by almeath »

It is definitely odd. It means there is probably no definitive answer to the aspect ratio question. Some scenes will look wrong in either mode, and often with inconsistencies within the same game.

Personally, I think there are more instances of aspect ratio correction looking 'wrong' in these games, but ultimately it will be a subjective issue.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

At the time the game came out, people did not pay attention to that.
Anyone with the opportunity to play Monkey Island was very lucky and I do not think he noticed the exact proportion of the clock or anything else in the background.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Most important reason for me to use aspect ratio correction is the way persons look. And almost every one of them look unhealthy fat without it.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

100% agree with LogicDeLuxe.
almeath

Post by almeath »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Most important reason for me to use aspect ratio correction is the way persons look. And almost every one of them look unhealthy fat without it.
As my earlier screenshot shows, the Mac (and FM Towns?) versions displayed the uncorrected aspect ratio with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

So I grew up thinking that a fat Guybrush is normal. :wink:
The_cranky_hermit

Post by The_cranky_hermit »

The "developer's intent" isn't always 4:3, even if ideally it should be. For instance,

Without AR correction:

With AR correction:

So really, I think you do need to look at it on a case by case basis. And I've seen DOS games where some graphic elements look better corrected and others look better uncorrected, likely meaning that different artists worked on those things and some corrected for the 4:3 aspect ratio but others didn't.
Taiyaki

Re: The case against aspect correction of Monkey Island

Post by Taiyaki »

Wow this is an amazing thread. I was always using the "stretch to window" setting cause it basically makes everything go to 4:3 on my 4:3 monitor. When I use "correct aspect ratio" it doesn't make all games run 4:3. Aren't most of the later Lucasarts games supposed to run in 4:3, such as Day of the Tentacle for example?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Just to add to my previous comment. I tried Day of the Tentacle in Dosbox, and it runs correctly in 4:3 out of the box. With Scummvm the only way I can get Day of the Tentacle to run in 4:3 is to select the "stretch to fit" option, the "correct aspect ratio" box does not seem to work for some games, unless I'm doing something wrong (Windows 10, latest version of Scummvm).
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Taiyaki wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:08 pm Just to add to my previous comment. I tried Day of the Tentacle in Dosbox, and it runs correctly in 4:3 out of the box. With Scummvm the only way I can get Day of the Tentacle to run in 4:3 is to select the "stretch to fit" option, the "correct aspect ratio" box does not seem to work for some games, unless I'm doing something wrong (Windows 10, latest version of Scummvm).
I just tried it in ScummVM, and using the "Aspect ratio correction" option (and "Fit to Window" stretch mode) does run Day of the Tentacle with a ration of 4:3 (while with "Aspect ratio correction toggled off it runs with a ratio of 16:10). So you might indeed be doing something wrong. If you are changing those in the global Options dialog, are you sure they are not overridden by game specific options (using the Edit game dialog)?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

criezy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:27 pm
Taiyaki wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:08 pm Just to add to my previous comment. I tried Day of the Tentacle in Dosbox, and it runs correctly in 4:3 out of the box. With Scummvm the only way I can get Day of the Tentacle to run in 4:3 is to select the "stretch to fit" option, the "correct aspect ratio" box does not seem to work for some games, unless I'm doing something wrong (Windows 10, latest version of Scummvm).
I just tried it in ScummVM, and using the "Aspect ratio correction" option (and "Fit to Window" stretch mode) does run Day of the Tentacle with a ration of 4:3 (while with "Aspect ratio correction toggled off it runs with a ratio of 16:10). So you might indeed be doing something wrong. If you are changing those in the global Options dialog, are you sure they are not overridden by game specific options (using the Edit game dialog)?
You're correct. That solved the problem. What I did wrong was that I had the general settings set to "fit to window". So when I selected aspect ratio correction in the individual games it wouldn't do it right. Once I set that back to default, I only needed to have aspect ratio correction enabled to get games in their original aspect ratio. Thank you. :)
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

So actually just enabling correct aspect ratio fixes it for many games but not all. I had to add stretch to window for games like Fate of Atlantis and Sam and Max to go full screen 4:3.

This leads me to wonder. Is there any disadvantage to just using stretch to window and leave correct aspect ratio disabled? Doing this I seem to get everything it 4:3.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I just tested with Sam and Max and Fate of Atlantis, and the aspect ratio correction works for both of them for me.
Knowing the way it is implemented, it should actually work for all 320x200 games.

As for the stretch to window mode, the issue is that the result depends on the ratio of your window (or screen if you are in full screen mode). So you could get something that is not 4:3 ratio. But if it works the way you want for you that's good.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

criezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm I just tested with Sam and Max and Fate of Atlantis, and the aspect ratio correction works for both of them for me.
Knowing the way it is implemented, it should actually work for all 320x200 games.

As for the stretch to window mode, the issue is that the result depends on the ratio of your window (or screen if you are in full screen mode). So you could get something that is not 4:3 ratio. But if it works the way you want for you that's good.
That's what I thought. How odd. If there's no downside to doing it this way then all is good I guess. Thanks for having tested.