ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > Discworld 1 sound/speech issues
Discworld 1 sound/speech issues
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
nuclear

Discworld 1 sound/speech issues 

Hi, I've recently installed ScummVM onto my Wii, and have been attempting to run Discworld.
The problem I've got is that I get a "static" kind of noise in place of where any of the speech/FX should be - although the MIDI music's fine.

I vaguely seem to recall having a similar problem about a decade ago when playing the game on my old PC, but I'm sure I got around it then somehow - maybe something to do with the sound settings? Any help appreciated.

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:46 pm 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Discworld 1 sound/speech issues 

quote:
Originally posted by nuclear

I vaguely seem to recall having a similar problem about a decade ago when playing the game on my old PC, but I'm sure I got around it then somehow - maybe something to do with the sound settings? Any help appreciated.

Does it also happen if you run it in ScummVM on a PC? If not, I guess it's a Wii-specific issue. If it does... I haven't heard of that problem before, so it could mean the sound file is damaged somehow. I can't think of any sound setting that would make a difference, at any rate.
Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 am 
nuclear

I seem to have fixed it now, it appears I must have done something wrong when I first copied the datafiles over to the Wii. After a lot of playing around I tried re-copying the files again from the CD and now it works perfectly!

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm 
Ev0

Hi, I'm having the same problem on my Wii but i've tried so many different options and still just get static sounds.
I also tried copying jsut the recommended files striaght off the CD on my SD card but no difference.
The same files work with the PC version (working voice and sfx) so it can't be the files(?)

Any ideas what I could try?
I've installed the nightly build to the Wii but didn't help.

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm 
Greenwizzard

I know I'm bumping an old post, but did this ever get sorted? I've got Scummvm 2.0 running on my wii (I've had every version since 1.50) and it's still making screeching/static type noises when there should be speech. Sound effects and music are fine though. I've copied every file into a discworld folder in my scummvmgames folder on the SD but no luck 😔

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:55 pm 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

Was there ever filed a bug report for this?

If not, it would probably be a good idea to do, so this doesn't get forgotten again in the forum noise and maybe the WII maintainer can take a look immediately?

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:19 pm 
Greenwizzard

quote:
Originally posted by Raziel
Was there ever filed a bug report for this?

If not, it would probably be a good idea to do, so this doesn't get forgotten again in the forum noise and maybe the WII maintainer can take a look immediately?

Erm...
To be honest I have no idea, I haven't done a bug report (I'm not sure how to) but I have read (possibly on here) that some people have had it running successfully but I'd wondered how they'd fixed it
Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm 
seanf101

Same problem 

having same problem files work on pc not on wii I am using 2.0b release canidate

Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:57 am 
Reply to topic