Discworld 1 sound/speech issues

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nuclear

Discworld 1 sound/speech issues

Post by nuclear »

Hi, I've recently installed ScummVM onto my Wii, and have been attempting to run Discworld.
The problem I've got is that I get a "static" kind of noise in place of where any of the speech/FX should be - although the MIDI music's fine.

I vaguely seem to recall having a similar problem about a decade ago when playing the game on my old PC, but I'm sure I got around it then somehow - maybe something to do with the sound settings? Any help appreciated.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Discworld 1 sound/speech issues

Post by eriktorbjorn »

nuclear wrote: I vaguely seem to recall having a similar problem about a decade ago when playing the game on my old PC, but I'm sure I got around it then somehow - maybe something to do with the sound settings? Any help appreciated.
Does it also happen if you run it in ScummVM on a PC? If not, I guess it's a Wii-specific issue. If it does... I haven't heard of that problem before, so it could mean the sound file is damaged somehow. I can't think of any sound setting that would make a difference, at any rate.
nuclear

Post by nuclear »

I seem to have fixed it now, it appears I must have done something wrong when I first copied the datafiles over to the Wii. After a lot of playing around I tried re-copying the files again from the CD and now it works perfectly!
Ev0

Post by Ev0 »

Hi, I'm having the same problem on my Wii but i've tried so many different options and still just get static sounds.
I also tried copying jsut the recommended files striaght off the CD on my SD card but no difference.
The same files work with the PC version (working voice and sfx) so it can't be the files(?)

Any ideas what I could try?
I've installed the nightly build to the Wii but didn't help.
Greenwizzard

Post by Greenwizzard »

I know I'm bumping an old post, but did this ever get sorted? I've got Scummvm 2.0 running on my wii (I've had every version since 1.50) and it's still making screeching/static type noises when there should be speech. Sound effects and music are fine though. I've copied every file into a discworld folder in my scummvmgames folder on the SD but no luck 😔

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Was there ever filed a bug report for this?

If not, it would probably be a good idea to do, so this doesn't get forgotten again in the forum noise and maybe the WII maintainer can take a look immediately?
Greenwizzard

Post by Greenwizzard »

Raziel wrote:Was there ever filed a bug report for this?

If not, it would probably be a good idea to do, so this doesn't get forgotten again in the forum noise and maybe the WII maintainer can take a look immediately?
Erm...
To be honest I have no idea, I haven't done a bug report (I'm not sure how to) but I have read (possibly on here) that some people have had it running successfully but I'd wondered how they'd fixed it
seanf101

Same problem

Post by seanf101 »

having same problem files work on pc not on wii I am using 2.0b release canidate
Bokkum

Post by Bokkum »

A bit late, but to give this chat a happy end:
You should use the first version of the game, with .gra audio/video files.that solved it for me. In the later versions with .fcn files i also got noise instead of speech. Tested and works on my wii, wiiu (using retroarch) and psp1004.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Hmm, but if the later version with .fcn files is supported on the Wii and still gives noise it's also still considered a bug, isn't it?