Inherit the Earth (CD, German) crashes often in Rat Cave

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MattyXB

Inherit the Earth (CD, German) crashes often in Rat Cave

Post by MattyXB »

I play and completed the game on scummvm-1.9.0.2-win32, but it crashes often in the Rat Cave Entrance.

When I came out from the Cave and click on anything in the room (Entrance from the Cave, not Sist room), or once an automatic sequence with Sist crash ScummVM.
When I just exit the Cave without click anything useless it worked. Not sure why it crash at Sist once, next time it has worked too. But entrance it will crash always for me, when I click anything (when I enter the Cave and leave again to the Entrance room, when I enter the Entrance room from the World Map it work fine).

This shown, when I click the cheese or anything else (after leave the Cave).
MinGW Runtime Assertion
Assertion failed!
Programm: C:\...\scummvm.exe
File: ./common/array.h, Line 164
Expression: idx <_size
Then I can close it. Ends the Emulation.

Press Repeat:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Or Ignor: Start a Debugger from ScummVM.
ERROR: Music::play() wrong music resource!
Not sure if this only happen in the German Version, or something from my Windows is broken. Other games have work fine without crash the Emulator yet.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

v1.9.0.2 is not the latest release, so you should check with the latest current v2.0 release and the nightly build.

I suspect the bug will still be present in both as I can't spot any specific fix to the SAGA engine for this bug, but it may have been fixed.

If not, and you can replicate the issue with the latest builds, then please file a bug on the tracker at bugs.scummvm.org.

Thanks.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

This sounds like #Trac10365.
MattyXB

Post by MattyXB »

Not sure but maybe similar. It only crash once in Sist room for me and I am not sure what error I got there. It was later ingame as the talking sequence start automatic when I enter his room. I clicked nothing, just enter his room.
It crashes more for me in the Entrance room, when I came back from the rat tunnel.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

It does sound like the same root cause bug. I will try and replicate under a debugger and get a fuller backtrace to work out where that common/array.h exception is being triggered from in the SAGA engine code.