Supressing the console window

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Collector wrote:
md5 wrote:Actually, there has been a long discussion concerning this on IRC. Some experimental code has been committed by m_kiewitz, but it's still open to discussion, so it has been reopened
So I am assuming that it was still rejected after the discussion.
The discussion hasn't ended yet, it's here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Windows/Console
Collector

Post by Collector »

Thanks
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I've been following the discussion a bit, and I wanted to say that as a user who does do a fair bit of release testing to try to help you out, a log file would be *extremely* useful, much more so than a persistent cmd.exe in Windows.

The only issue I can see with having one is that it might get pretty large quickly with the amount of debug messages certain engines spit out. Maybe have an option to turn logging off, or to only enable it for critical errors rather than just warnings?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but it was said two posts above that the discussion hasn't ended, so... :-)

I also don't think switching it off completely is a good idea, but i would vote (if there was a vote) for a switch or even an option in the launcher to use either use the console or a logfile.

User(s) start to ask where to get rid of that extra window :-)

Thank you
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Why bump such an old topic? changes were made, and the discussion is out of date

There is already a command line option (--console) and config option (console) to disable the console window under Windows.

ScummVM is offered with and without the console window, via the Start Menu, when using the installer too.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Hi Kirben,

like i said, the discussion is still up and i don't see a conclusion anywhere, so for me it's still up for discussion.

You are correct, Windows already has many options to suppress or circumvent the console window, i know that before posting my initial question, but didn't put it in my post, sorry.

Yet, i don't use ScummVM in Windows (neither do the people i port the software for) and i won't tell them that they have to buy and use a windows machine to make ScummVM get rid of the console window. ;-)

So, my question still stands...are there plans to introduce a log *file* option for (non-Windows) ScummVM?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The discussion above, was specific to the console window in the Windows port only. The console window was made optional, and logging was added in the Windows port as a result.

It sounds like you want the option of logging (rather than console window) on other platform(s), which is a separate issue. It would be best to add a feature request, in more detail, for that specific platform. Or maybe even offer a patch via pull request, if you know exactly what you want code wise.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Ah, ok.

I thought the discussion was general.

Got it

Thank you