Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Fathers (restore problem)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mehmetkuc

Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Fathers (restore problem)

Post by mehmetkuc »

Hi everyone,

I am using Kirben Daily build (11 December), I cannot restore save games that are saved by the same scummvm version. The message shows

"Warning: Save game was created for game version #, but current game version is !"

I own the Gog version of the game.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

I was able to save and restore saves from the gog version of gk1 without issue on the latest scummvm. Did you extract the data files for the game as mentioned in http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles (for sci32)?
mehmetkuc

Post by mehmetkuc »

Edit: I find the cause of problem. Restore doesn't work if different sound options selected,i.e., if game saved under MT-32 emulation, it can be restored on MT-32 emulation. Maybe it is intentional.
appoloin

Post by appoloin »

I seeing this as well. Save the game, return to launcher, try to load the saved game and I get the error message.

GK1 is the gog version
OS LinuxMint 18.3 64bit
Scummvm v2 ( Fedora 64bit converted to DEB and dependences manually installed from synaptic ie SDL2, Libjpeg, Libpng)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I am not an SCI dev, but here's what I know:

Save/restore in SCI16 games in ScummVM is currently handled very differently from how it is currently handled in SCI32 games. In SCI32 a lot more is handled by the original scripts. This (maybe) has the side effect of introducing behavior that's closer to the original Sierra SCI.

In the original Sierra SCI (like when running in DOSBox) there were problems in some games that were saved with a specific sound driver being restored with a different sound driver. The recommendation on some website was to always save while in AdLib before sharing the save. This sort of advice predates SummVM SCI32 support. I'll try to dig up where I saw this advice.

EDIT: I am failing at finding a source for this claim. I am starting to think I am confused maybe? Just ignore this post. :oops: