Starship Titanic French version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

legluondunet

Starship Titanic French version

Post by legluondunet »

ScummVM now supports Starship Titanic english and german version.
I own the french version and I would like to know how I can help to add support for it in ScummVM.
I'm not a developper but I would like to help.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Well, as the primary developer, I didn't want to move straight onto the French version straight after German due to burnout working on the game. So it's somewhat good timing that I'm just about to go into my Christmas holidays.. it'll give me a chance to relax and unwind. That there's genuine interest in the French version, it may be nice to have all the releases supported by the engine. Well PC releases, anyway.. i had way to many issues with the video code to want to tackle Mac releases.

We'll see what the new year brings us.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

For info, I was waiting for the v2 release to start looking at this. I copied the data files on my laptop yesterday...
legluondunet

Post by legluondunet »

Hello,

could we have some news about a potentially support for Starship Titanic french version?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

The outlook isn't good, I'm afraid. Strangerke did some preliminary investigation/disassembly of the French version, and it looks like there were significant differences in the executable. As such, it wouldn't be a simple (relatively) matter like with the German version to identify bits of code added in, and add support for them. So my original estimate of several weeks work it would take is likely a severe underestimation.

And since I don't speak French, and nor is the French version available for purchase digitally, I can't really justify putting the amount of time into trying to support it, sorry. So it looks like it won't be supported for the foreseeable future.
legluondunet

Post by legluondunet »

Sad news, but I understand your reasons.