Newbie question: can't open gamepc file

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

phYr

Newbie question: can't open gamepc file

Post by phYr »

I'm trying to run Simon the Sorcerer 1 on my TX, but after ScummVM has imported the databases and starts loading Simon the Sorcerer, I get this error:

Code: Select all

ScummVM Fatal Error - Can't open gamepc file 'GAMEPC' or GAMEPC.'
I have read the FAQ and the Game Data Files page, and I have all ScummVM files installed on the TX and the game on my SD card:

Entry name: SS1
Path: slot2://PALM/Programs/ScummVM/simon1dos
Game: simon1dos
Engine: Simon Sorcerer Games

ScummVM version: 0.7.1 (Build: Mar 29 2005)

I'm pretty new to ScummVM, so it would be great if someone could help me out with this!

p.s.: I have tried variantions of the path and the game name, but to no avail; if those are changed, ScummVM just exits instead of loading the game.
royal

Post by royal »

I'm not sure, but the problem may be that your using an older version of ScummVM.

You should try the March 7th 2006 version (SVN Snapshot) from http://capers.free.fr/ScummVM/ as I believe it works better on the TX.

I've played Simon on the TX with no problem with the version I mentioned.

Hope that helps
phYr

Post by phYr »

Thanks for the tip. However, after I installed the SVN Snapshot, I get this error:

Code: Select all

ScummVM engine file was not found! Please check that all required files are installed on your card, and you have enough free storage memory!
Storage isn't the problem. I changed the path to /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/simon1dos (so without the slot2:), but I still get the error. What am I doing wrong here?
royal

Post by royal »

did you install the simon.engine file into /Palm/Programs/ScummVM/Mods/ on your sd card??
phYr

Post by phYr »

Yes, I have!
royal

Post by royal »

I believe you need to click on the sd card icon in the top right hand corner, it's to the left of the (i) icon. In the Cards box, highlight Card instead of BUILTIN and press ok, I think that should do it.
phYr

Post by phYr »

Thanks! We're getting there: I also needed to change the Game-name from simon1dos to simon1.

So now it loads ScummVM succesfully. I can select Simon the Sorcerer 1 and press start, but it briefly (1 sec) loads the game and then goes back to the ScummVM environment.

When I edit the game, and go to Path, all I can put in for "Game Path:" is /PALM/ (can't choose subdirectories). Is that correct?
royal

Post by royal »

That doesn't sound right, the path should still be editable.

Just to let you know in very simple steps, this is how I install the game on my TX.

First I create a folder called simon1 in /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Games/ on my SD card and copy over the required files from the simon game cd into the simon1 folder.

Then I load up ScummVM and click on the + button.

Here's what I put for the following.

Entry name: simon

Path: /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Games/simon1/ (making sure theres a / at the beginning and end)

Game: simon1

Engine: Simon the Sorcerer

Then click OK and it takes you back to the ScummVM 'choose a game' screen. I highlight simon and click on start and it works. When I know that it works, I can go back and edit the display/audio settings and such. This way I know that the game works without messing with the other settings first.

If this doesn't work for you, I would try deleting ScummVM off the Palm & the ScummVM Directorys off the SD card and reinstalling it again with the processes that i've mentioned in this post and seeing if that works.

Let me know how it goes.
phYr

Post by phYr »

It's working! I didn't you had to double click (er.. push?) on "Game Path" to go a level deeper, to the games folder.

Thanks for helping me out!! :D

Just one more thing: when in-game, how do I exit (to ScummVM)? None of the buttons seem to work..
royal

Post by royal »

i think you have to "use" the postcard that you have in your inventory to bring up the save/load/quit menu.