unsupported versions + Famicom MM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

unsupported versions + Famicom MM

Post by sanguinehearts »

things such as broken sword ps1, Is the main problem how the graphics is stored on the disc?

Broken sword was also released on GBA anyone looked into this?

I understand the demand may be minute, but if they all follow similar source code minus a few details perhaps, with a bit of jiggery pokery something could be worked out to add support relatively easily,

Finally I will get back to Famicom MM, as some of the devs know I was interested in getting something done about eventual support of this title,
I have so far began to tinker with assembly code, teaching myself the basics of this and trying to perform basic tasks with this, its going ok but Im not there yet,
I also then need to look into Famicom Internals and get to know them and how they work, Will Yoshi's Document help me there? Is it safe enough to assume Famicom to be NES in this case or do I need to think of them as two separate entities to continue on this project,
Finally I will need to look into reverse engineering, I have limited knowledge of this and will continue researching until I find some solid ground I can stand upon,
anyway thanks for your time
Rob
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: unsupported versions + Famicom MM

Post by sev »

sanguinehearts wrote:things such as broken sword ps1, Is the main problem how the graphics is stored on the disc?
Yes, at least that and music.
sanguinehearts wrote: Broken sword was also released on GBA anyone looked into this?
joostp did. And he has info on it. I am not sure about his plans, though. Engine there is completely different.
sanguinehearts wrote: Will Yoshi's Document help me there? Is it safe enough to assume Famicom to be NES in this case or do I need to think of them as two separate entities to continue on this project,
Yes, yes, no.
sanguinehearts wrote: Finally I will need to look into reverse engineering, I have limited knowledge of this and will continue researching until I find some solid ground I can stand upon
Ground for RE is assembler knowledge. I.e. when you will start to see sense in assembler commands, that's already the start. Next, you should know how machine hardware is addressed. I.e. in NES/Famicom case it is special areas of memory and special ports, so you will tell sound routines from graphics etc.

Speaking of Famicom MM. Start with mapping out Kanji tiles and probably other graphics. Then you will not need to visit those areas as you will make sure that's data, not the code.

Eugene