Is there an option for a raw "snapshot"?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Avatrunei

Is there an option for a raw "snapshot"?

Post by Avatrunei »

I doubt there is such an option but I'd like to ask anyway.

I'd like to ask if there is an option to save and restore a raw snapshot of a game, emulator-style. I mean, save snapshots even where the game engine doesn't allow saving (Eg. during arcade sequences or cutscenes).

One of the reasons I ask abut it is that I am trying Mickey's Space Adventure, and it allows saving only in the spaceship (not to mention that I think there are some bugs with saving)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

You were right to doubt. There is no such feature in ScummVM.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

criezy wrote:You were right to doubt. There is no such feature in ScummVM.
There was. Ctrl 0-9 and Alt 0-9 did work in earlier versions of ScummVM, even when the game disabled the savegame menu. When was this changed?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:There was. Ctrl 0-9 and Alt 0-9 did work in earlier versions of ScummVM, even when the game disabled the savegame menu. When was this changed?
They do allow saving even when the savegame menu is disabled? I am not sure I would trust such saves.
In any case, those shortcuts are engine specific, and only supported in a few engines (SCUMM, Simon, and maybe a few others). I don't think they work for Sierra game?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Ctrl 0-9 and Alt 0-9 did work in earlier versions of ScummVM, even when the game disabled the savegame menu. When was this changed?
I have looked quickly at the SCUMM engine source code and the Ctrl 0-9 and Alt 0-9 do nothing when the engine disables the load and save game menus. And it has been like that for at least 8 years (I am too lazy to look further down the history).
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I think, the last time I really used those is far more than 8 years ago. In the early days, ScummVM didn't even have its own GUI, so it was the only way to save games.