Help needed to write the ScummVM manual

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Help needed to write the ScummVM manual

Post by criezy »

Even if you are not a developer, you can help the ScummVM team. There are a number of areas in which you may be able to help. For example with version 1.0.0 coming all the games need to be thoroughly tested (see this topic). Another area that requires some work is the writing of a manual for ScummVM. This was actually one of the reason why version 1.0.0 took so long to come.

We need a good manual helping new users (and to a degree also experienced ones) with problems they have. This starts with how to obtain and install ScummVM on your favorite device, to how to copy file data to it and how to add it to ScummVM, up to specific issues with the games. There is a work in progress manual. This is very incomplete, and we need your help to finish it!

If you can write in proper english and would like to help, please contact Sev to get a wiki account.

You can have a look at what we want to achieve and a list of task on this page.

Edit: to clarify the 'proper english' part of my message, we have no plan to enter the ScummVM manual into a literary contest. The ability to write correct simple english should be sufficient. What we don't want to see is slang, SMS language or sentences full of grammatical and spelling errors.
Last edited by criezy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

As you put it that way, I offer you my services. Say the word and I will help you in anyway I can. There must be something I can do to help. :D

Of course, if I may join you. :wink:
beatlefreak9

Post by beatlefreak9 »

I would also like to help. I can lend a hand in writing the Nintendo DS and Wii bits.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Please, contact me privately.

Eugene
jakayang

Post by jakayang »

i will help you for the windows CE port. just tell me what to do!

jakayang
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

:) Contact me.

Eugene
Poulpette

Post by Poulpette »

Hi everyone,

I discovered the ScummVM project some months ago and first of all I’d like to thank the Team for having created that software. :)

Then here’s the point: I’m not a developer, I still do some mistakes when I speak in English (which would not do the trick for the English documentation) and I don’t have so much time to help… but if I can do so that would be a pleasure.
So I was wondering: would you be interested in translating the documentation into other languages? I mean it was done for the software (which is great but there were not so much incomprehensible things to read) so I was thinking it could be really helpful for non-English speakers if the documentation could be translated too.

Well, I’m French and can really properly write in my mother tongue (if I say that, that’s because French people know that more and more grammatical and spelling errors are done…), so if I can help, don’t hesitate to ask. :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, it would be not bad to have at least some of our manuals translated. There is one important thing, though, that is supporting those translations, i.e. it is not a one-shot job, but the person who is willing to do it has to join the team and maintain the documents.

Eugene
Poulpette

Post by Poulpette »

I see and understand.

Well, like I said, I don’t always have a lot of time to work on different projects, but as translation is not a one-shot job (you’re right on that point :)), if you are interested I could help the project in the best possible way.
It depends on deadlines you would have for translation: if they’re too short, I can’t offer you my help. But if they’re not, that would be OK for me.
sherry529

Post by sherry529 »

I would also like to help somehow...
scarmona

Post by scarmona »

Hi, I'm not a developer either but ScummVM and its supported games (especially the Sierra and Lucasarts graphic adventures) have a very special place in my heart.
I'm happy to help with documentation in either english or spanish (my primary language)
I run ScummVM on PC and an Android Tablet

I realize this sticky is quite old, but if you still need help, just let me know :)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Hi scarmona, the sticky post is indeed quite old, but there is a reason why it is still sticky ;)
There is still work to be done on the manual, such as keeping it up to date, improving it or translating it. So any help is still welcome. To help you will need a wiki account, and you need to ask sev for that. You can do that by PM (see some of his posts above) or come on IRC (#scummvm channel on freenode) to discuss with the team and ask sev for an account there.
scarmona

Post by scarmona »

Thanks criezy, will do!
saucjedi

Post by saucjedi »

Hi, last week I sent a PM to sev and have not received any reply. It is possible that he has not received it?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It is possible that he does not check his pm's as frequently as mail, but he should be notified by mail if you sent the PM through the forums.

Joining the #scummvm IRC channel on #freenode would give you a much more direct line of contact with sev (and other devs).