KQ 7 2.00b installed but not found by scummvm

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kurutsu

KQ 7 2.00b installed but not found by scummvm

Post by Kurutsu »

Hi, I have a copy of KQ7 version 1.51 which I updated to version 2.00b with the dosbox patch I found on the sierra website. It works okay when double clicking the icon but I want to run the game in scummvm. Unfortunately, it couldn't find any game in the folders.
I just played the dig the other day, so I know how scummvm works. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for supporting all these good old classics so far!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Does the un-updated version work? (I mean re-copy the datafiles from your CDs)
Kurutsu

Post by Kurutsu »

thanks for the quick reply!
No, that didn't work either.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Just to be sure.. are you using one of the latest daily builds of ScummVM, or one of the stable releases? Because the testing period for Kings Quest VII (amongst other later Sierra games) has only recently started
Kurutsu

Post by Kurutsu »

I tried with the newest build, that seemed to have worked. Scummvm recognises both the 1.51 and the 2.00b version. Is there any difference between them? Which OS version do you recommend for the game ? Dos or windows?

I will start playing this game I finished Toonstruck
Kurutsu

bugs?

Post by Kurutsu »

I was able to play the game but I encountered a few problems
1) I had to move the old avi files into the installed game folder because scummvm didn't find any.
2) After closing scummvm abruptly (I still had a saved bookmark so it was alright I thought) the saved bookmark is gone and scummvm can`t find the game folder anymore so probably I have to reinstall the game
Bakhtosh
Got a warning

Re: bugs?

Post by Bakhtosh »

Kurutsu wrote:1) I had to move the old avi files into the installed game folder because scummvm didn't find any.
To me this sounds like you have installed the version 2.00b DosBox patch without altering options. In that case the RBT movies (used by the DOS version) are downloaded and the AVI movies (used by the Windows version) are not copied from the CD. You have to select the copy AVI movies option during the patch installation to have the AVI's copied.
Kurutsu wrote:2) After closing scummvm abruptly (I still had a saved bookmark so it was alright I thought) the saved bookmark is gone and scummvm can`t find the game folder anymore so probably I have to reinstall the game
Are you sure that you didn't start the actual 1.9.0 stable build instead of the latest daily build after ScummVM closed abruptly?
Because it really sounds like it. There's no reason why the latest daily build first recognizes KQ7 version 1.51 from the CD and version 2.00b from the DosBox patch installation folder and then don't recognize them if you start it again.

But if you start the actual 1.9.0 stable build by accident it's clear that the KQ7 versions or the KQ7 savegames (bookmarks) aren't recognized. Since that's normal for that build as you noticed before when you tried the actual 1.9.0 stable build.
Kurutsu

Post by Kurutsu »

I downloaded the stable 1.9.1 version (july 17th), windows defender doesn't let me start the scummv ap of the master build.
I reinstalled kq7 2.00 but to no avail. Scummvm says there is no game in the folder. The debug windows says there is no resource.000 resource.map and errors in script 997 and 64918
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The stable 1.9.1 version from our buidbot are only a minor iteration on the 1.9.0 version to fix bugs. It is there in case we found serious bugs in 1.9.0 and needed to do a bug fix release, but in the there was no need for it (so there is no official 1.9.1 release). The bottom line is that it doesn't support any new games compared to 1.9.0, and in particular doesn't support KQ7.

To play KQ7 your only choice currently is to use a recent master build.