Fascination editions

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Avatrunei

Fascination editions

Post by Avatrunei »

I loaded the (notorious and infamous) game Fascination. Other than the Amiga version and a possible CD-ROM version (about which I learned from this wiki) I don't know of other editions of this game. The ScummVM db recognized it as "VGA 3 disks edition". What does it mean? Were there other editions, like EGA, CGA or 2-disks edition with, say, fewer custscenes? Or an expanded edition with 4 disks? Or the "3 disks" refers to the 3.5 version (the 5.25 version having more disks)?

Is there a browsable database with all the supported games and their recogniseable versions/editions so that I can find out more?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

The best source of documentation for the supported versions is... the source code :/

Now, I must say I own several versions of Fascination, so most likely you're looking at Something I added. There's a CD version which needs a tool (provided by ScummVM) to make it playable (fake TOCs on CD). I also have several DOS, Amiga, Atari ST versions, either sold separately or as part of the 'King of Adventures 1' pack. IIRC, the Atari ST and the Amiga version are strictly identical. I think I even have a set of floppies where the two executables are available (dual Atari ST + Dos set). I don't remember a VGA DOS (except the CD)... Sorry, I really have to check my mess at home to be 100% sure.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

You may also be interested by the wiki page listing the files needed per version:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Fascination
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Avatunei, could you please clarify, on what media was your copy of Fascination? Is it floppies? Of which physical size?

Eugene
Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

3.5" floppies sev

I have another question, which is a bit OT as it involves Dosbox. I installed the CD version through Dosbox and then ran "go.bat" which brought me to a small setup screen. After pressing Enter to save the choices, I was brought back to the prompt. There isn't any other executable or obvious way to run the game. If the setup screen was supposed to run the game after the Enter, it didn't. Anyone knows if there is a known issue with Dosbox or if it requires any special settings in dosbox.conf?

I managed to run this CD through ScummVM BUT I have another question: the program recognised the game as the "Censored" version. Can somebody tell if there is only this CD version, or if there are censored and uncensored CD versions? It's a purely encyclopedic question.

(and if anyone knows why the game doesn't run with Dosbox please let me know)
Bakhtosh
Got a warning

Post by Bakhtosh »

Avatrunei wrote:I managed to run this CD through ScummVM BUT I have another question: the program recognised the game as the "Censored" version. Can somebody tell if there is only this CD version, or if there are censored and uncensored CD versions? It's a purely encyclopedic question.
If you look at the ScummVM detection source code for the game
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... s_fascin.h
you can see that at least there is no known uncensored CD version of the game that is supported by ScummVM.