Trapped on a luxury cruise ship.. In Space!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Trapped on a luxury cruise ship.. In Space!

Post by dreammaster »

Explore a broken-down luxury cruise liner, try to convince the Deskbot to give you an upgrade, and eventually track down and fix the ship's governing computer, Titania. Or you're never going to get home. We're pleased to announce the testing period for the late '90s game Starship Titanic. At this time, only the English version is ready for testing. So break out your copy, and grab the latest daily build of ScummVM. You'll also need an extra required titanic.dat file, which should be put in the same folder you copy your game files to.

Before you start your test run, please be aware there is one specific kind of Indeo encoded AVI video we haven't yet figured out how to decode transparency information for. In a few areas, such as the SGT Stateroom and Titania's closeup, amongst others, you'll see objects with jagged black areas around them. Please just ignore the problem for now. But all other graphics or gameplay issues should be reported on our Issue Tracker.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Congrulations! What a stunning work in solo! Two thumbs up!
Eilhan

Post by Eilhan »

Great news, I've been hoping to play this game again!

I have a 3 CD version of the game, and the readme.txt identifies the game as "Douglas Adams Starship Titanic v1.00.42b". I've downloaded the titanic.dat file and copied the Assets folder from all 3 CDs, but there is no file named newgame.st anywhere. Have I got a different version?
A600

Post by A600 »

Can someone confirm if the Steam version is compatible?

edit: I guess it is after reading the post from DreamMaster at the Steam forums :)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Eilhan wrote:Great news, I've been hoping to play this game again!

I have a 3 CD version of the game, and the readme.txt identifies the game as "Douglas Adams Starship Titanic v1.00.42b". I've downloaded the titanic.dat file and copied the Assets folder from all 3 CDs, but there is no file named newgame.st anywhere. Have I got a different version?
You need to install the game to get the newgame.st file as well as a few more files that go in the Assets folder (like the cursors).
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

ezekiel000 wrote:You need to install the game to get the newgame.st file as well as a few more files that go in the Assets folder (like the cursors).
Ah. Good to know. I've been using the GOG version mostly, and it comes with it's own installer that installs all the needed files.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

A600 wrote:Can someone confirm if the Steam version is compatible?

edit: I guess it is after reading the post from DreamMaster at the Steam forums :)
Well, don't quote me on that. It was simply because I posted an announcement on the GOG forum, and someone suggested I also post it to the Steam forums as well. I don't personally only the Steam version, but I imagine it should be similar to GOG, and all the needed files will be set up by the Steam installer.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I own both. I verified that they both contain the exact same files (that ScummVM cares about)
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

I was able to complete the game.

I've reported the bugs I experienced to the bug tracker.

ScummVM: 1.10.0git-3571-gd5ebd9a 64bit
Game: Starship Titanic, GOG (1.00.42c), Windows/English
Tester OS: Win7-64

Congrats dreammaster.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Good to know it's still completeable, and thanks. And now to start working my way through all the various reported bugs. :roll:
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

A git update from current master doesn't seem to have TITANIC enabled

Any reason for that?
I mean it's in testing, so "normally" that engine would be enabled in bleeding edge, wouldn't it?

I could do it manually of course, just wanted to know if there is a reason.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

btw...incredible work, thanks a lot for yet another classic i was never able to play before