SCI 3 games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

koko200

SCI 3 games

Post by koko200 »

Is it possible to be able to finish a SCI 3 game in scummvm?
I've see that rama is fully playable with the nightly build (although I'm only in the beginning of the game).

by the way rama has a playstation version (released only in japan) is it a SCI game like the pc\mac version ?
(The wiki doesn't mention this version but Wikipedia and mobygames say that it exists).

Here are the pictures from the version of rama that I have :

OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

I have the Japanese PS1 version of RAMA ("Uchuu no Rendezvous - RAMA").

Here's some info about the game: http://psxdatacenter.com/games/J/U/SLPS-00826.html

I have no idea if it's SCI. Is there a tool to view/extract files/resources from PS1 CDs?

edit:
Using an hex editor, there are some strings (e.g. "12.SEQ", "3.RBT") which hints that it uses at least *some* SCI resources.
koko200

Post by koko200 »

Wow It looks pretty identical to the pc version
(so maybe it does use the sci engine)
but it's in Japanese.

After I beat The pc version of rama I really want to try this version (There's also a Japanese Sega Saturn version of phantasmagoria named phantasm but it doesn't use the sci engine at all).

When running the pc version in scummvm I encountered some weird behavior: when I added rama to the scummvm game menu and I chose The root directory of disc 1
scummvm recognizes the DOS version of rama.

and when I merged The game's 3 cd's into one folder
and selected that folder and added it to scummvm
it recognized the WINDOWS version of rama.

(It should have recognized both versions but maybe I did something wrong in the merging)

I think (But not sure I'll have to test it again)
That the windows version has more glitches and crashes than the dos version of rama when running them in scummvm.

I guess that The SCI 3 engine support is not fully yet
but it's still very impressive to be able to play those games in scummvm (It is possible to run SCI 3 games in dosbox and using a special installer make them run under 64 bit windows natively but scummvm gives a better experience).
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

A question: Does Rama have mt32 sound?
koko200

Post by koko200 »

No
Because rama does not use MIDI at all
only digital sound effects
and music.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

Thank you :)