3x Scaling - No more border?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SnowB88

3x Scaling - No more border?

Post by SnowB88 »

I am testing the latest daily build. All previous versions (1.9.0 and before), when set to 3x scaling, have had a black border around the screen to preserve the 960x720 resolution on my 1366x768 monitor. Now, the black border is gone, and the image stretches to the top and bottom of the screen, though the 4x3 aspect ratio is maintained. I see the new graphics filtering option to remove blockiness, but I don't see a way to revert the screen size and restore the border, like it displayed in prior versions.

I realize I'm dealing with a daily build here, but is there (or will there be) a display option to have the image bordered, or has that been eliminated going forward?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I don't remember such changes having been made since the 1.9.0 release. Also I am still getting (with source code from today) black borders on the left and right on my screen when using 3x scaling in full screen.
SnowB88

Post by SnowB88 »

criezy wrote:I don't remember such changes having been made since the 1.9.0 release. Also I am still getting (with source code from today) black borders on the left and right on my screen when using 3x scaling in full screen.
The image is still pillarboxed (there are still black bars on either side of the screen), but the smaller black borders on the top and bottom are gone. Rather than displaying at perfect 960x720 in the center of the screen, it now does what it used to do on 2x scaling for me - it maintains the 4x3 ratio but stretches the image to the top and bottom of the monitor, leaving black bars only on the sides. Obviously, this is only an issue in fullscreen - when in window mode, it displays with no stretching.

Though I've noticed a new graphics filtering option that removes the blocking and distortion resulting from the image now stretching, it's still a change. As a test, I re-installed 1.9.0 and the 3x display reverted to its original behavior, with no modification of monitor settings or anything else.

I hope this clarifies somewhat. Please let me know if you need further information.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

This is out of our control. First of all, we are using SDL here, but even then we are merely request "full screen 960x720". Then it is up to your video driver to interpret that. I was not using Windows in the last five years, but earlier there was a driver setting "letterbox/stretch".

Eugene
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Oh, I see what you mean. Except that for me 1.9.0 was already behaving in the same way the current code does (stretching the image to the screen top and bottom border) while 1.8.0 indeed did have black borders on all sides.

I suspect this is related to the SDL library version used (SDL 1.2 versus SDL 2) as they handle fullscreen differently. ScummVM can still be compiled with either version, but by default we are now using SDL 2 while before 1.9.0 the default was to use SDL 1.2. And the 1.9.0 release itself uses SDL 2 on some platform but not all (I think on Windows it still uses SDL 1.2).
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Note also that with the current version I can reproduce the old behaviour of having borders on all four sides by using the OpenGL mode rather than 3x and then changing the resolution using Crtl+Alt+plus (or minus) to cycle through the available resolutions.
SnowB88

Post by SnowB88 »

criezy wrote:Oh, I see what you mean. Except that for me 1.9.0 was already behaving in the same way the current code does (stretching the image to the screen top and bottom border) while 1.8.0 indeed did have black borders on all sides.

I suspect this is related to the SDL library version used (SDL 1.2 versus SDL 2) as they handle fullscreen differently. ScummVM can still be compiled with either version, but by default we are now using SDL 2 while before 1.9.0 the default was to use SDL 1.2. And the 1.9.0 release itself uses SDL 2 on some platform but not all (I think on Windows it still uses SDL 1.2).
Thank you so much, that explains it. I've since changed the settings to OpenGL and set up my display driver accordingly.