Raspberry Pi/RetroPie 16 Bit ScummVM Support?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BlueFrog

Raspberry Pi/RetroPie 16 Bit ScummVM Support?

Post by BlueFrog »

Hey guys/gals, I tried searching (and searching), but couldn't find an answer for my question...

Does the Raspberry Pi version of ScummVM (through RetroPie) support 16 bit games?

I snagged the Freddi Fish games for my son, and they all load up fine except for #5, which I've discovered is a 16 bit game (tried it under ScummVM 1.9.1 May 25, 2017). The game loads fine on my Mac (ScummVM 1.9.0 Oct 11).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
BlueFrog <- longtime lurker, first time poster
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

Retropie by default grabs 1.9.0 (the latest release), according to the compatibility sheet Freddi Fish #5 is supported in that version. I have used ScummVM on Retropie successfully to play games.

I would recommend you grab a newer version that 1.9.0 (or an older version) of ScummVM on retropie if you plan to use a gamepad since the gamepad lags on 1.9.0 on retropie on the raspberry pi 3, but the lag has been fixed in the latest version.

If the game does not load on 1.9.0 or the latest it should be reproted as a bug to the scummvm bug tracker.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

ScummVM on some platforms only supports games that use 256 colours or less. I think that is what BlueFrog was referring to.

I am not familiar with the rasberry pi so I might be wrong, but looking at configure it looks like it is listed among the platform that support 16 bit colour games (since it uses the SDL backend as far as I can see).
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Okay, it appears that 16bit games on the Pi are broken right now, as I tried the Backyard Baseball 2001 demo (a 16bit game), and it loaded with a black screen (the cursor is visible).

dafioram, thanks for your advice about the gamepad - I picked up a cheap mouse to use, so I'm all set there.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

Here is the procedure I used to have retropie grab the latest Scummvm (makes it grab from master rather than 1.9).

I would suggest starting #4 right before you go to sleep since it will take 3+ hours to compile.

1) Quit Emulation Station to get terminal.
2) Sudo editor open ~/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/emulators/scummvm.sh
3) On the line that has "gitPullOrClone..." change "branch-1-9" to "master". Note the double quotes is needed. Save exit and reboot.
4) In Emulation Station go to RetroPie, setup, Manage Packages, optional, scummvm, update from source.
5) reboot and try your games.

Games you have previous put into the scummvm rom folder should still be there. If you decide to update the retropie setup script this won't revert back the changes you made here. Updating from source again later will always grab the latest scummvm.

Backyard Baseball 2001 demo worked fine for me on the latest.
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Thanks, I'll give this a shot and report back when it's done compiling.
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Huh... so... it doesn't work for me. I verified that it's updated, but Freddi Fish and Backyard Baseball 2001 are still black screens for me. Not sure what to do now.

Maybe I'll have to ditch my SD card and start a new one from scratch.
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Well, something was messed up with my Retropie, I guess. I installed a clean image, updated stuff (though just 1.9.1) and the Backyard Baseball demo works. Looks like I'll just move my ROMs and stuff over to this card and toast the other one.

Not sure what happened, as I'm not much into messing with the files, but something clearly happened. Time to close that bug report. Thanks for the help, guys!