Manhunter 2 on Apple IIgs?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Manhunter 2 on Apple IIgs?

Post by CaptainJei »

On the game wiki page for Manhunter 2: San Francisco (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Manhunter_2) Apple IIgs is listed as one of the platforms. Is this an error, or was there actually a IIgs version released somewhere?

I remember feeling disappointed when I was a kid that it never came out for the IIgs, but that was a long time ago.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The following is "hearsay" based on some web searches...

I don't think it was released for the Apple IIgs for some reason... However, it uses an older interpreter which the Apple IIgs could handle, so it is unclear why they didn't release it.

However, you could possibly use the datafiles from the DOS or Atari ST releases and the right version of the AGI interpreter binary for AppleIIgs from another AGI game and put together a "frankenstein" release. Needless to say, your mileage may vary on getting such a monster to work :)
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

That's an extremely intriguing idea. However, my main interest in a IIgs version would be in being able to play the game with IIgs music, the data for which were stored on *.sys16 files on all other AGI games. I imagine any such music file for Manhunter 2 just doesn't exist, or at least it never did commercially.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Ah, that might explain the lack of an Apple IIgs port then i.e. they would have needed to pay a computer music programmer to do that work and might not have felt it was commercially viable.