Cosmology of Kyoto

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Cosmology of Kyoto

Post by CaptainJei »

Is there any interest in ScummVM supporting Cosmology of Kyoto? For those not familiar, it's a little-known point-and-click adventure released for Mac and Windows in 1995. It's a bit on the nightmarish side, but there's really nothing like it I've ever played, and it's extremely difficult to get running on modern computers, even with DOSBox, since it requires 16-bit Windows.

There's more information about it here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/cosmol ... fkyoto.htm
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

According to Wikipedia the games uses "Macromedia Software" (whatever that means).

ScummVM houses an in-progress Macromedia "Director" player, so it might be possible to support it in the future?

Although the game isn't covered on the "known games" list.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Interesting. If I can manage to find my CD of the game, I would be happy to donate it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

You could, if you find it, first look through the files and see if there is some obvious hint about the engine somewhere
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I'll do that.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It's a Director game. Has DXR files and the readme states:

""MS-DOS" and "Windows" are trademarks of Microsoft
Corporation. "Director" and "Made with Macromedia" are
trademarks of Macromedia, Inc. All other brand names are
trademarks of their respective holders."
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Cool, it does look intersting and given it's non-linear and open exploration horror genre (cited wikipedia) i'm really looking forward to it
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Oh boy, I remember "playing" that one a few years ago. Was a bit creepy but still cool. Never finished it (is there even an end?). Later I found many of the locations from the game (and read about the folklore) during my time in Kyoto.

Ah, the memories :)