Kanji font problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dark-Star

Kanji font problems

Post by Dark-Star »

Hi,

I just compiled today's CVS and I noticed that there are (still) some drawing errors in the japanese version of Loom (FmTowns):

Seems like on the left side there's 3 characters written over each other: the little circle (。), the hiragana letter ya (や) and another letter which I can't figure out right now.

Since the font is hardcoded in the ROM file and fixed at 16x16 pixels, there's only 2 possibilities of what's going wrong there:
1) the text needs to be wrapped at the end of the line, but it isn't (or it is wrongly wrapped)
2) the characters are spaced too far (I think they could be moved closer by 1 pixel, but I doubt that would be enough to make enough room for all of them)

I'll try digging in the code to implement the 2nd option, but maybe someone else has some other ideas?

--Darkstar
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It is because we dont't render Kanji properly. It should be drawn on 640x480 overlay and then put on top of 2x scaled 320x240 game graphics. That's how FM-TOWNS did. Currently in ScummVM we have implemented a hack where Kanji is rendered on 320x240. That's why hieroglyphs look oversized and there is text overlapped in may places.

There is a way for me to do that if I'll have time, i.e. there is Indy4 Japanese demo which renders some Kanji. But I don't have any FM-TOWNS game beyond that.

Eugene
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

well, that sounds like it's more complicated than I thought... So this would basically mean adding another blitting layer to OSystem?

It looks like all I'll be able to offer there is some bug-hunting/testing skills...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, it's more complicated than that. Currently SCUMM engine mixes subtitles by itself, so that part should be decoupled and possibility to render it separately added. Moreover decoupling is not an easy task, since it updated list of dirty strips, checks for shading etc etc.