Petitioning for Ron Gilberts Monkey Island 3

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

a.borque

Petitioning for Ron Gilberts Monkey Island 3

Post by a.borque »

Hello!
Doing a quick search shows various petitions asking Disney (or formerly LucasArts) to grant Ron Gilbert a license to do "his" Monkey Island 3. This version could show the ending of the triology as it was originally intended by him and might bring a proper solution for the rather disturbing end of Monkey Island 2 that is never explained in the subsequent parts we know.
But all of these partitions seem to have stalled at some point.

According to some interviews he seems to be willing to do so but the license is out of range for him (especially since owned by Disney).

Now with Thimbleweed Park just around the corner there might be enough publicity for Ron Gilbert, Adventures, ... to get enough people to sign such a partition and perhaps to move Disney to grant a suitable license?!

Unfortunately I am not very experienced in this, so I want to put it to a public discussion here.
A.Borque
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I guess, Disney would be pleased to sell him a license.
The issues is: Ron doesn't want a license. Ron wants Disney to sell the IP back to him.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

LogicDeLuxe wrote: [...] The issues is: Ron doesn't want a license. Ron wants Disney to sell the IP back to him.
Hmm, this sounds impossible or at least very, very expensive...

My understanding was the Ron Gilbert "only" wants a license that grants all artistic freedom to him?!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I heard he wanted the rights outright as well, not just a license.
60fpshacksrock

Re: Petitioning for Ron Gilberts Monkey Island 3

Post by 60fpshacksrock »

It's on the way.