ScummVM & Roland Sound Canvas VA

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EstelRandir

ScummVM & Roland Sound Canvas VA

Post by EstelRandir »

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the trial version of Sound Canvas VA to test it out. I have followed all the instructions in the following video to get it to work with ScummVM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumRboSfn90.

But it does not work with ScummVM the way the video shows. I am using Win 10 & ScummVM 1.8.1.

By default, I have ScummVM global settings set to use FluidSynth for music & MIDI. I have a soundfont chosen (my games run fine).

If I go to Options (global options - not the individual game options), change the MIDI GM Device to Roland Sound Canvas VA (the name of my Loopmidi port), change the SoundFont to "none", & then try to start any game, ScummVM immediately crashes to desktop. It is so fast, that I cannot read any error messages. I am guessing the error has to do with not having a soundfont selected. This is what happened in my previous trials with FluidSynth. But the Sound Canvas VA does not have a soundfont to choose. It is running through the SAVIHost. So I am lost as to why the setup in the video works, but mine does not.

I do not have this problem with DosBox. It runs exactly as it should. But I do not want to use DosBox for most games. ScummVM is better, IMO.

Why is it not working so nicely like in the videos? What am I doing wrong?
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

I fixed the issue. Under Audio tab & under Midi tab, I have to choose the port name (in my case I named it Roland Sound Canvas VA) in each tab. Then set the sound font in the midi tab to none. It works now.

If you have not trialed this program, it is worth playing with. It sounds great.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Nice. I just setup the trial version and got it working. Works really well, but I don't have a lot of games that used general MIDI. So, for me, it's hard to rationalize spending $120.00 for the official version. Most of my old games used the MT-32
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

envisaged0ne wrote:it's hard to rationalize spending $120.00 for the official version.
Not to mention that an SC-55 can be had for less on eBay.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

Yeah, the cost is hard to justify, but I like to play around with stuff like this. With so many bad sound fonts on the internet, its nice to hear what the original games should sound like.

I don't think Discworld 1 was originally intended to use Roland sound, but man it sure is nice.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »