ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > ScummVM & Roland Sound Canvas VA
ScummVM & Roland Sound Canvas VA
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
EstelRandir

ScummVM & Roland Sound Canvas VA 

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the trial version of Sound Canvas VA to test it out. I have followed all the instructions in the following video to get it to work with ScummVM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumRboSfn90.

But it does not work with ScummVM the way the video shows. I am using Win 10 & ScummVM 1.8.1.

By default, I have ScummVM global settings set to use FluidSynth for music & MIDI. I have a soundfont chosen (my games run fine).

If I go to Options (global options - not the individual game options), change the MIDI GM Device to Roland Sound Canvas VA (the name of my Loopmidi port), change the SoundFont to "none", & then try to start any game, ScummVM immediately crashes to desktop. It is so fast, that I cannot read any error messages. I am guessing the error has to do with not having a soundfont selected. This is what happened in my previous trials with FluidSynth. But the Sound Canvas VA does not have a soundfont to choose. It is running through the SAVIHost. So I am lost as to why the setup in the video works, but mine does not.

I do not have this problem with DosBox. It runs exactly as it should. But I do not want to use DosBox for most games. ScummVM is better, IMO.

Why is it not working so nicely like in the videos? What am I doing wrong?

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:24 pm 
EstelRandir

I fixed the issue. Under Audio tab & under Midi tab, I have to choose the port name (in my case I named it Roland Sound Canvas VA) in each tab. Then set the sound font in the midi tab to none. It works now.

If you have not trialed this program, it is worth playing with. It sounds great.

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 am 
envisaged0ne

Nice. I just setup the trial version and got it working. Works really well, but I don't have a lot of games that used general MIDI. So, for me, it's hard to rationalize spending $120.00 for the official version. Most of my old games used the MT-32

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 am 
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by envisaged0ne
it's hard to rationalize spending $120.00 for the official version.

Not to mention that an SC-55 can be had for less on eBay.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 pm 
EstelRandir

Yeah, the cost is hard to justify, but I like to play around with stuff like this. With so many bad sound fonts on the internet, its nice to hear what the original games should sound like.

I don't think Discworld 1 was originally intended to use Roland sound, but man it sure is nice.

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:23 pm 
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

I honestly prefer the enhanced track that James Woodcock did.

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm 
Reply to topic