Custom Boxes for LucasFilm/LucasArts games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

alessandromanno

Custom Boxes for LucasFilm/LucasArts games

Post by alessandromanno »

Hi, this is my first post here. I live in Italy and I am a photographer. I was born in 1977 and I grow up playing with C64, Amiga and PCs. One of the best memories I always keep, is the hours spent playing my point 'n click adventures. I still have some. Few months ago I played again a couple of adventures on my old Amiga but since my house is too small I cannot keep at home, so I brought it back in another place.

So I decided to use ScummVM to play sometimes. I love to have my retail copies so I didn't want to store my best games on a HD or a simple CD.. here came the idea. Make some custom boxes of those games, smaller but with all the feeling and content of the original Big-Boxes.

I wanted to share with you my work. Here's the first one I made: Monkey Island.

In each pic on the left you can see the original one, on the right mine custom :) (sorry is the second one is blurred but I made in hurry)

The box contains the manual, the Dial-a-pirate a CD with all versions of MonkeyIsland (scummvm, UAE), floppies (I left them below the cd, sorry :D ) and the Quickstart reference sheet.

A box usually takes me up to 1 day.. I was thinking maybe to make few if someone would be interested in. In the next days I'll show you the other one I made :)

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Cute idea...and they look very professional, like it.

If you take requests i'd have some for you (looking to box my adventures i had to buy without the original box)

Hardcore collectors will probably go for original size boxes...even if re-created, imho
If you are planning to do original scale models, you might have a small buisness on your hands :-)

Then again, it's your hobby and you should have fun ;-)

Anyway, nice work, the first box looks really well done

P.S.: Does a jewel DVD case fits in? Looks a little too small...
alessandromanno

Raziel wrote:Cute idea...and they look very professional, like it.

If you take requests i'd have some for you (looking to box my adventures i had to buy without the original box)

Hardcore collectors will probably go for original size boxes...even if re-created, imho
If you are planning to do original scale models, you might have a small buisness on your hands :-)

Then again, it's your hobby and you should have fun ;-)

Anyway, nice work, the first box looks really well done

P.S.: Does a jewel DVD case fits in? Looks a little too small...

Well I can make it like original ones in size, but they will look "fake" compared to the original one. I decided to make small just to have some custom one. But I can consider the idea. I decided to have a plain color for the background of the box just to let know that it's not the original. :)

I've take a picture of my box and a dvd.jewel case (i've choose the do with Deponia to have a little idea of the size. It should not be a problem to make some centimeters bigger to fit the jewel case.

Here it is:

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Love them :-)

...here is me imagining my whole game filled bookcase with those beautiful tiny boxes...damn :-)
alessandromanno

Raziel wrote:Love them :-)

...here is me imagining my whole game filled bookcase with those beautiful tiny boxes...damn :-)
:D will update this post in the next days with the other boxes. If someone is interested I can think to make few. :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

alessandromanno wrote:
Raziel wrote:Love them :-)

:D will update this post in the next days with the other boxes. If someone is interested I can think to make few. :)
You do realize you just gave me permission to spam you with a lot of games i want to see boxes for?
alessandromanno

Here's the missing picture of the floppies :)

Later will show the new box I've made :D
alessandromanno

Zak McKracken

Hi, here's another box: Zak McKracken. I've also decided to make a blog to keep track of my collection, so pictures are now hosted there instead of imgur.

Front:

Back:

Box content:

One of the things I enjoyed most was the remaking of all stuff: manuals, labels, protection codes and all extras included. I'm gonna add some cd label too. Will make a post on my blog with this. :)

Zak is one of the most expensive ones to get today.. My copy will arrive in the next days so I can make some comparison shots. Now i'm trying to find a solution to print the included newspaper :D
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Nice work, they look very much like the budget editions of these very same games in Spain back in the mid nineties:

http://es.wallapop.com/item/lote-juegos-de-pc-114699187
http://es.wallapop.com/item/maniac-mans ... -138739008
http://es.wallapop.com/item/juego-para- ... -128550136
http://es.wallapop.com/item/caja-de-jue ... -117492260

They were also roughly the same size.
alessandromanno

kelmer wrote:Nice work, they look very much like the budget editions of these very same games in Spain back in the mid nineties:

They were also roughly the same size.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Never hear about that!

Those one seems in single cardboard. I'm filling the ones I've made with many goodies. I'm finishing new details, then I'll show the contents :)

Thanks for pointing those spanish version.

BTW: Any preferences for the next game box to show? Consider I've done from Maniac Mansion to The Dig :D
OzzieMonkey

Post by OzzieMonkey »

Do you have templates for these boxes so maybe those who want to could have a go at making one themselves?
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Hi guys. I would like to join the party :)

I think this is a very cool idea. I also have some old games without a gamebox. Either i dumped it or i bought it without the box.
So i started recreating some boxes by myself. I did not find the best cardboard yet, so i only have a simple testbox. But i already layouted some games. I recreated most of the stuff seen on it, so i have every single object seperated.

Here are two of them. I could add pictures of the build box, when i found a good cardboard.

I almost finished "Full Throttle" and "Beneath a Steel sky". And I'm planning to do some more.
But its hard to find clean source Material. I recreated some parts by myself.

If some people are willing to help with some scans of original game boxes at high resolutions it could help. Maybe we could then release templates for everyone who likes to make some boxes by himself.

At the moment im searching for Grim Fandango (front and back) and Curse of Monkey Island (back and manual for the map in the background)[/url]
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Kermit

You got PM
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Some renderings of my boxes:
http://gamebox.frogspawn.de/

Still searching for the right cardboard to build more :(
alessandromanno

OzzieMonkey wrote:Do you have templates for these boxes so maybe those who want to could have a go at making one themselves?
Actually everything I have done came part from my original boxes, part from the web (where I had to work hard to fix). Since I'm planning to sell some to get some news games I'm not giving them, sorry.