Hulabee games (Like Ollo & Moop) on Wine? (PEBKAC)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GeorgeQGreg

Hulabee games (Like Ollo & Moop) on Wine? (PEBKAC)

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Does anyone out there have experience running Hulabee games (In particular their adventures Ollo in the Sunny Valley Fair or Moop & Dreadly) on Wine? When I try they just crash with some generic error, I forget which but I could check if anyone wants. If anyone is interested, demos are available to *legally* download:
Ollo: http://web.archive.org/web/200406110454 ... o/ollo.exe
Moop: http://web.archive.org/web/200603030956 ... o/moop.exe
(These are archived copies from Transposia's website, who were and still are the games' publisher in the Netherlands and Belgium.)
Last edited by GeorgeQGreg on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

I download the demos from
http://web.archive.org/web/200712150059 ... o/demo.htm

I have Ollo and Moop install and played complete the demos without crash.
Same with new wine profile
Only error is

Code: Select all

err:pulse:pulse_contextcallback Context failed: Connection refused
Wine 1.8.6
Siduction (Debian/sid) 64bit
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Well, the Wine in Ubuntu is a much older version, so I thought to try a newer version... okay, looks like it's only available as a source package, well, I'll compile it then! Ok, looks like I have to install... I dunno, feels like every dev package ever written... hours pass compiling... ok, finally compiled! ...guess I have to give it its own prefix, ok... now for the moment of truth! Aaaand...

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x4750bb (thread 0009), starting debugger...

Exactly the same as the damn vanilla build. There's just one word that says it all... ARGH!!!
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Curiosity got the better of me, and I tried the Wine on Puppy. Runs fine! (There was no sound, seems broken on the computer I used, eh, I'd have probably heard sound if it was working.)

So something stupid about my distro's config must be making the game crash. Just great!

Updated: So, I have now isolated it to just something with my config, as it runs on the recently-installed copy of Ubuntu 16.04 on my mom's laptop. So, there must be something stupid about my installation. I admit, there's a lot stupid about my config. I can't even find the cause! I wonder what else I broke.

This whole thread might as well be replaced with the text "GEORGEQGREG IS AN IDIOT."