Why do FM-Towns games appear "squished"?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lukeman3000
Got a warning

Why do FM-Towns games appear "squished"?

Post by lukeman3000 »

I have the Fate of Atlantis both DOS VGA and FM-Towns versions. In the FM-Towns version, I noticed that the aspect ratio seemed different. Why questions are:

1. Which version is the "correct" or "intended" aspect ratio?

2. Is this normal?

3. Can this be fixed?

I went to youtube to look up a let's play of this game in both formats and it looks like it's not just me.

After looking at that screenshot, it almost looks like the FM-Towns version displays more correct proportions of objects whereas the DOS VGA version seems a little vertically stretched. Which is it?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

lukeman3000
Got a warning

Post by lukeman3000 »

Thanks for the links.

Well, that's a little depressing. Although the games were originally designed that way, is it fair to say that that's how they were truly "meant" to be played?

Regardless, the last user to post makes some good points. The games were never "meant" to be played with all of the filters that ScummVM offers, and one might argue that they alter the look of the game MUCH more drastically than stretching an image a few pixels.

I fully support and would love to see the option to "aspect correct" (or whatever you want to call it) FM-Towns games.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I can't post on that reference tracker, but I'd also add my voice to the list of proponents of aspect correction for FM Towns games and submit the existence of SCI undithering as a reason. Undithering is certainly not how the original games looked yet it's an option that exists. FM Towns aspect correction doesn't have to be default but, like undithering, I don't see the harm in having it as an option for those that prefer it.