Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mvickers03

Re: Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)

Post by mvickers03 »

ScummVM project is truly amazing, I was lay in bed last night playing Monkey 1 on my iPad thinking how cool it would be to get the voice acting on the old dos version.

Thank you so much to anyone remotely responsible for this happening, Will be getting this running tonight!

much love
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Is it possible to put the original sound fx from the original cd version of MI1 in the ultimate talkie? I always love the sounds fx as they originally sounded, and I'm not keen on the new sound fx!
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Does these preferences works in ScummVM? Shows nothing when i press any combination (works in DOS version) and there is no monkey.cfg to manually set this options..
Preferences
===============
- CTRL-a toggles narrator mode.
- CTRL-p toggles Spiffy mode between "SE based VGA", "EGA scan" and "no closeup".
- CTRL-q toggles subtitle mode between "keep original text" and "match voice acting".
- Preferences are stored in monkey.cfg, which is loaded automatically whenever a new game is started.
- Music volume is saved whenever one of those toggles are used.
- Savegames contain their own settings overiding monkey.cfg when loaded, except for music volume.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Another bump, I'd like to use the original sound fx with the MI Talkie.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Still wondering if it's possible to use the original sound effects with ultimate talkie? Love the vocies but hate the new sound effects.
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

How do I get Roland MT-32 sound to work with the ultimate talkie version in SCUMMVM?

the readme (listed below) only mentions putting a dummy track in the game folder. I tried this and MUNT does show the scumm 2.0.0 message when I start the game but I don't get any sound. I confirmed that my MUNT emulator works with the EGA version so I don't believe it is my configuration.

3.1 Playing it with ScummVM
===========================
- Just start the game as usual.
- Hint: If you prefer MIDI mode without any additional soundtrack, you can get rid of the ripping reminder by just putting a silent dummy track1 into the game folder.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Another bump to ask if it's possible to use the original sound fx with Ultimate Talkie?
miracle.flame

Post by miracle.flame »

elvisish wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:11 pm Another bump to ask if it's possible to use the original sound fx with Ultimate Talkie?
Did not test this myself but try to edit file install.bat and remove this whole part before running the script:

echo.
echo implementing high quality sounds
call sbl 22050
copy Resource.000 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\monkey.000 /y
copy Resource.001 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\monkey.001 /y
del >nul Resource.000
del >nul Resource.001
del >nul monkey.000
del >nul monkey.001
del >nul monkey1.000
del >nul monkey1.001
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

miracle.flame wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:50 pm
elvisish wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:11 pm Another bump to ask if it's possible to use the original sound fx with Ultimate Talkie?
Did not test this myself but try to edit file install.bat and remove this whole part before running the script:

echo.
echo implementing high quality sounds
call sbl 22050
copy Resource.000 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\monkey.000 /y
copy Resource.001 ..\MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition\monkey.001 /y
del >nul Resource.000
del >nul Resource.001
del >nul monkey.000
del >nul monkey.001
del >nul monkey1.000
del >nul monkey1.001
Hmm, I tried this and strangely enough it still builds with the new sound effects. I would have thought it wouldn't play any sound effects if I had done this?
defendant

Post by defendant »

I've recently installed scummvm 2.0.0 on my HTC m8 one, at the same time I've downloaded MI 1 (CD/DOS/english). I want to make this into talkie, I've read some of these post, but I'm not that technology savvy. How do I go about this, what is the easiest way. Is there a simple download?

Thanks all.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

defendant wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm I've recently installed scummvm 2.0.0 on my HTC m8 one, at the same time I've downloaded MI 1 (CD/DOS/english). I want to make this into talkie, I've read some of these post, but I'm not that technology savvy. How do I go about this, what is the easiest way. Is there a simple download?

Thanks all.
Firstly, having the DOS version isn't going to help you, as what you need is to buy and download the Special Edition from Steam, and the ScummVM talkie version is extracted from that. Secondly, you aren't going to get help here, because you admitted to pirating the game (there is no legal way to "download" the old DOS version) and because of the ScummVM forums rules that means that no one can help you.

If you get the Steam version follow the guide that is linked to in the first post. It will explain everything:

http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

There is no download for a prebuilt version of the game due to copyright laws.
OzzieMonkey

Post by OzzieMonkey »

This is a long shot, but do you reckon there's a chance we could get the stump joke voiced? Either a sound alike or ask Dominic Armato if he'd do it?
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

Just used V1.02 of the ultimate talkie builder. I am missing track10.flac and track20.flac in the cd_music_flac folder. Is it normal? same for you guys? My CD does have 24 tracks, here I have 22 hmmm
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm not sure the reason but Track10 is the introduction conversation with the lookout music. Track20 is the muffled version of Lechuck's ghost ship theme. Neither have tracks in the original CD version. I'm guessing that's why for some reason?. The Track10 theme is actually at the end of the title theme track (track 17) and doesn't have its own track.

Track10 on the CD version is a variation of the LeChuck theme and Track20 is the unused "sad" theme.

I keep having problems where I get the LeChuck theme playing during the conversation with the lookout when I play in ScummVM. It's very irritating.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 am I'm not sure the reason but Track10 is the introduction conversation with the lookout music.
I don't know the reason either, but it's the way they are in the SE.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 am I keep having problems where I get the LeChuck theme playing during the conversation with the lookout when I play in ScummVM. It's very irritating.
Sounds like you mixed up the tracks somehow.
Iirc, my script checks for the presence of track10 and the length of track17 to distinguish the soundtracks. If you just keep it the way the Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder creates the folders and make sure there is no track10 and no track20 in the game's folder nor in the extra path when pointing to the DOS CD soundtrack, it should play as intended.