Adventure History in the Mystery House (ADL testing)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Adventure History in the Mystery House (ADL testing)

Post by fuzzie »

"You are in the front yard of a large, abandoned Victorian house."

You can now experience adventure game history, and play Sierra's early Hi-Res Adventure #1: Mystery House in ScummVM. Dare you leap back to 1980 and take the steps up to the porch? Grab the game and a daily build, and join our testing by stepping back in time.

We're proud to announce that we now also have support for several other games using the same ADL system - which feature advanced technologies such as color graphics! Perhaps you'd rather save the planet (Hi-Res Adventure #0: Mission Asteroid), or save the princess (Hi-Res Adventure #2: The Wizard and the Princess)?

We're working on the rest of the Hi-Res Adventure games, but in the meantime, we're releasing support for the Apple II versions of these three games for testing, and look forward to seeing any bug reports for problems you might find. We'd like to include these in our next release, so be sure to read through our testing guidelines, and don't forget to take some screenshots.

Mystery House was released into the public domain by Sierra On-Line in 1987, to celebrate their 7th anniversary. You can download it for free. For more details about the other games and where you might be able to buy a copy, take a peek at our wiki pages.

If you happen to have original floppies for any of the Hi-Res Adventure games (for any platform), we want to hear from you. In particular, if you have an Apple II version of Hi-Res Adventure #3: Cranston Manor, please get in touch. Many of these games are rare, and we cannot add support for all the different releases without your help!
GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg »

Hi-Res Adventure #4: Ulysses and the Golden Fleece - Atari 8-bit - Re-release.
Game detection failed with the latest daily build, because the engines/adl/detection.cpp Line 150 md5 Hash value filled with 0's
{ "ULYS2C.XFD", 0, "00000000000000000000000000000000", 92160 },
Sorry, moved to Bugtracker
Last edited by GoodOldGeorg on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
albadross

Post by albadross »

Glad to have been declared a Guru Wizard at Mystery House (using a Windows build).

Only one annoyance for me, which I shall report as a possible bug. I used Ctrl+F5 to use the 15 available save slots, which worked well including showing the thumbnails. Except in the tower. Any saves made there seem to be corrupted in some way that they crash the game when restored. No problem for me because I just went back to a recent savefile I had made earlier. But anyone using just SAVE GAME in this location (and, therefore I guess, only a single game savefile throughout) would be pretty annoyed if they had to start the game again from the beginning when they were so close to the end!
Collector

Post by Collector »

Both the 2nd KQ collection and The Roberta Williams Anthology have images for Time Zone. The Roberta Williams Anthology also has an image of The Dark Crystal.
albadross

Post by albadross »

Have now completed The Wizard and The Princess game (although I have yet to see the complete congratulations message because the game returns too quickly to the ScummVM main menu). This is on my usual setup of running Windows 64-bit development build ScummVM under Wine on Linux.

I have almost completed Mission: Asteroid also but [SPOILER] always end up in the sea when I pull the throttle trying to return to Earth. I have seen various different views of Earth - I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a bug.

Edit : Now completed Mission: Asteroid. Same complaint about congratulations message disappearing too quickly.
waltervn
ScummVM Developer

Post by waltervn »

albadross wrote:Same complaint about congratulations message disappearing too quickly.
Could you file a bug report for this?
albadross

Post by albadross »

waltervn wrote:
albadross wrote:Same complaint about congratulations message disappearing too quickly.
Could you file a bug report for this?
I am not sure if there is a bug but I have reported my findings.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

albadross wrote: I am not sure if there is a bug but I have reported my findings.
Please file a bug. The devs are not saying that to be dismissive, far from it.

Truth is: complaining on a forum is something that might be forgotten about; Filing a bug is doing your part in making sure the issue isn't going to be forgotten about, and eventually, gets fixed.
albadross

Post by albadross »

tsoliman wrote:
albadross wrote: I am not sure if there is a bug but I have reported my findings.
Please file a bug. The devs are not saying that to be dismissive, far from it.

Truth is: complaining on a forum is something that might be forgotten about; Filing a bug is doing your part in making sure the issue isn't going to be forgotten about, and eventually, gets fixed.
You misunderstood me - I had filed a bug report. Please see #9575: Hi-Res Adventure Endings
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

My apologies. Thanks for filing the bug.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

It appears the disk images require specific naming to be detected by ScummVM. Is this documented anywhere? I don't see any of these three games listed on the games data files page.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

wow. it's a huge mystery! nobody knows what to name the disks, except these few testers who somehow figured it out.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Worst case, you can Use The Source, Luke to see what set of files each game detection requires.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

thanks for the tip =)
teknik667

Post by teknik667 »

could i kindly ask which are the right file names for Hi-Res Adventure #0: Mission Asteroid and Hi-Res Adventure #2: The Wizard and the Princess pretty plz? :)