SCUMMVM for Windows 64 bit

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

TMM wrote:The old installer places stuff in c:/Program Files (x86)/ScummVM, a native 64bit installer would place them in c:/Program Files/ScummVM. People upgrading from pre 1.5.0 would lose their savegames if we just clean out that old directory post install.
If that's true then it's already a bug in ScummVM. Applications should never write anything into their Program Files directory (as per MS's specification). That's what %APPDATA% etc. is for. Though I use a custom directory and INI file so I can't say from the top of my head if it's true or not.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Dark-Star wrote:If that's true then it's already a bug in ScummVM. Applications should never write anything into their Program Files directory (as per MS's specification). That's what %APPDATA% etc. is for. Though I use a custom directory and INI file so I can't say from the top of my head if it's true or not.
"People upgrading from pre 1.5.0 would lose their savegames."

Microsoft's own software liked to write even into %WINDIR% btw.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Dark-Star wrote:
TMM wrote:The old installer places stuff in c:/Program Files (x86)/ScummVM, a native 64bit installer would place them in c:/Program Files/ScummVM. People upgrading from pre 1.5.0 would lose their savegames if we just clean out that old directory post install.
If that's true then it's already a bug in ScummVM. Applications should never write anything into their Program Files directory (as per MS's specification). That's what %APPDATA% etc. is for. Though I use a custom directory and INI file so I can't say from the top of my head if it's true or not.
This is only true for pre-1.5.0 versions. Current versions of ScummVM use %APPDATA%/ScummVM for Save Games, logs and settings.
lwc

Re: SCUMMVM for Windows 64 bit

Post by lwc »

I know it's an old thread but I have to wonder - while there's no Windows 64-bit version in https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ there is one at the very bottom of https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html ("Download latest stable build").

How is this possible?
NiQ

Post by NiQ »

lwc wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:19 am I know it's an old thread but I have to wonder - while there's no Windows 64-bit version in https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ there is one at the very bottom of https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html ("Download latest stable build").

How is this possible?
It's just not being maintained. It's possible to build ScummVM for 64-bit Windows from source without too much effort but it it'll only be officially supported it someone volunteers to regularly maintain it.
carlo_bramini

Post by carlo_bramini »

Hello,
since some years have passed and since this seems to be the thread with the best thougths from people for this topic, do you think that it would be possible to release an executable made for Windows 64bit, when the new version will be released?
With MSYS2, it is easy, you just need to select to open MINGW32 or MINGW64 shell, depending if you want to build for 32bit or 64bit, and finally type the usual "configure" command. The script finds the required libraries and gives you the executable that you need, without any extra work.
You can do it also with CYGWIN or linux, it is not difficult, you just need to follow the guidelines typically used when cross compiling.
For example, I cross compiled the 64bit version with:

Code: Select all

./configure --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-sdl-prefix=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw --with-libcurl-prefix=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw --with-freetype2-prefix=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw --with-png-prefix=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw
Technically, you just need to decide if it is worth to use some storage space for hosting that in your download page or not. :wink:

Sincerely.
lwc

Post by lwc »

I guess someone listened because as of this week's release of 2.1.0 the 64-bit win version is back after almost a decade (the last time a win 64bit version was up for download mentioned 1.4.0 which was released in 2011)!

Thank you for that!
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Are there any practical advantages in running the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit OS? I mean, any performance improvement or something like this?

Greetings
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Gudadantza wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:05 pm Are there any practical advantages in running the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit OS? I mean, any performance improvement or something like this?

Greetings
Not really, not on Windows yet. However, recent macOS stopped supporting 32-bit applications, thus 64-bit is mandatory there.

Eugene
franzrogar

Post by franzrogar »

sev wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:01 pm Not really, not on Windows yet. However, recent macOS stopped supporting 32-bit applications, thus 64-bit is mandatory there.
Eugene
Well, that's also applicable to Windows, from which (for example Steam have 77.40% of all users [incl. Mac and Linux] at Windows x64 [1]) x64 is becoming a must. In fact, both NVIDIA (April 2018) and AMD (October 2018) stopped delivering graphic driver updates for x32, and some recent games are even x64-only, which is even forcing the market to move to that arch.

[1] https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Even Microsoft, in their *inmense* knowledge suggested (from time to time), to limit to minimum (or even remove) 32 bit support. In fact, it's nowadays, a stand-alone component (WOW64) that can easily set-off or remove from further releases at any moment.

So, IMHO, the sooner there is a full tested and stable x64 release (that might arise unknown bugs specific to such arch) the better.

Sincerely,
Franz