New mouse behaviour in 1.9.0?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lebostein

New mouse behaviour in 1.9.0?

Post by Lebostein »

After updating it is hard to play games now. If I move the finger, the mouse cursor jumps under the finger and I see no longer what the cursor points.

How I can set the old behaviour?
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

try to switch on relative mouse movement via startup-menu

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android-SDL
Lucasjodokast

Post by Lucasjodokast »

I have to agree that this change to the controls was a terrible choice & makes games completely unplayable

To make matters worse the "relative mouse control" is broken as all hell, the cursor suffers from stuttering & left click on "tap" mode just refuses to work properly, i think it is making the left click not release or something

This needs fixing asap because at present scummvm on android is unplayable

The saying "If it aint broke dont fix it" comes to mind
goetz

Post by goetz »

First of all: Trying to emphasize your opinion by words like "terrible choice", "broken as hell", and "needs fixing asap" does not help. Remember this is not a commercial project and people are developing it for fun and your rude behaviour may lead to some developers stopping their activities!

The new build makes direct touch screen control of the mouse cursor the default, and it was an excellent choice to use this as default: It is like in most other apps on the Smartphone and not some unusual touchpad like behaviour, which always needed explaining over the years.

With this control type, games that were unneccessarily difficult or even impossible are now better to play, and all functionality of the relative mode is still there: if you want to look for hidden objects in a game by moving the cursor and looking what shows up in the inventory, just put the finger down and move it without lifting it.

The relative mode with "tap" as left mouse key seems to be behaving strange. Try "normal" (which will also generate a click when you touch the screen first time) or "tap or hold" and set to "0.3 sec". Then it should work fine, you just have to be a tiny bit slower releasing the finger after the click.

If you would like to have an issue fixed, file a bug in the bugtracker and make sure to provide all necessary details.
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

I checked and can confirm problem with click in relative mouse mode.

Problem caused by libSDL and i hope it fixed in commit https://github.com/pelya/commandergeniu ... a1cbfbb964

nightly build debug version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/477 ... -debug.apk

- fixed sdcard default path
- restored in-game menu via Back button for all game-engines
- fixed startup-crash in game Rex Nebular
- (libSDL) fixed click in "Tap or hold" mode

For correct work of click in relative mouse mode please also select left mouse click via "Tap or Hold" mode.
Lucasjodokast

Post by Lucasjodokast »

Thankyou & i didnt mean to be rude but i still disagree with absolute mouse control being the default choice, holding down the left click & moving your finger around to search for items doesnt work because said items highlight under your finger & last time i checked my finger wasnt made of glass

& relative mouse mode is actually the default mode for all other emulated apps i have so far used, including magic dosbox
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

Lucasjodokast wrote: & relative mouse mode is actually the default mode for all other emulated apps i have so far used, including magic dosbox
Relative mouse mode is default for any emulator because absolute mode for emulation environment extreme hard to implement. I can say it as author of android ports such as: uae4arm (amiga), uae4all2 (amiga), basilisk2 (mac), bochs(pc).
That is big advantage of scummvm that it is not an emulator and we can choose any mouse mode.
Last edited by Lubomyr on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Stobbart

Post by George Stobbart »

I hope that is purchased with the next update :D
goetz

Post by goetz »

Lucasjodokast wrote:holding down the left click & moving your finger around to search for items doesnt work because said items highlight under your finger & last time i checked my finger wasnt made of glass
Maybe that glass look will be a feature of future fingers. :)

I was only thinking about the classic LucasArts games I usually play (Zak, Maniac, MI, ...). They have a line where object names occur and then my proposal works fine. For games wherethe cursor shape changes or the name of the object occurs next to the cursor, that would not work, and I agree with you that for those games relative mouse cursor would be better.

Maybe a pop up at the start asking the user which mouse mode and other standard settings would be a solution, so that we do not need a default, but let the user decide. I see some drawbacks with that: Work to implement that pop up question, and users might get annoyed by a setup popup appearing when they start the app for the first time.
George Stobbart

Hi
When they release an update for the official version in the play store to improve the playability? :D
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

goetz wrote:Maybe that glass look will be a feature of future fingers. :)
Apple's new iFinger.
George Stobbart

When will the official version update to fix pointer problems? :D