ScummVM and Windows Network

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ChrisKeys

ScummVM and Windows Network

Post by ChrisKeys »

Hi all,

Following scenario:
2 Windows PCs
PC 1 is, where ScummVM (portable) and all my games are stored.
Folder and Games are shared on the Home Network

On PC 2 I go to \\PC1\ScummVM, start the .exe and it works.
Also when I add a Game, the first folder that comes up is the Network Folder and I can add games like that.

Now...If I install ScummVM on PC 2, I have no way to point to a shared Network Folder.

So it would be great if the Network Folders could be selected, instead of just the local hard drives.

Anything that would speak against it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: ScummVM and Windows Network

Post by Raziel »

ChrisKeys wrote:Hi all,

Following scenario:
2 Windows PCs

Also when I add a Game, the first folder that comes up is the Network Folder and I can add games like that.

Now...If I install ScummVM on PC 2, I have no way to point to a shared Network Folder.

So it would be great if the Network Folders could be selected, instead of just the local hard drives.

I don't know how windows works, but are you able to "mount" a share to a drive number/char?

On my platform my local cloud is mounted as a drive/volume and i can access it pretty fine.

Using it to store my save games, but not to run the exe from it (too slow)
Dark-Star

Re: ScummVM and Windows Network

Post by Dark-Star »

ChrisKeys wrote:Hi all,

Following scenario:
2 Windows PCs

Try the "net use" command (or right-click on the share and "map network drive"). You can make the network share look like a local drive to Windows.

Bonus feature: The path will be the same on both PCs (say, S:\ScummVM) and you can use the same config file from both computers without any change (helpful if you use roaming profiles)
ChrisKeys

Post by ChrisKeys »

Great Idea, didn't think about that. So now that I have thought a little more, would this or a similar method also work for other platforms, like Android / RPi / iOS / PS3 etc.?
I have an Android box connected to my TV. Would be great if that would be possible (instead of copying the games to the box)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Theoretically yes. It largely depends on the version/flavor of Windows and Android.

The keywords to google for is "cifs mount Android"

Good luck :)