ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > Help needed with Linux development builds
Help needed with Linux development builds
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
albadross

Help needed with Linux development builds 

I am a Windows veteran and a Linux novice. I am trying to get the latest development build running on my Linux Mint 18 machine and need some help. I can get the official release 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 .deb binaries running but can get no further. These are the steps I have taken :

1. Install scummvm_1.8.0-trusty.1_amd64.deb successfully. Later upgrade to scummvm_1.8.1-xenial.1_amd64.deb successfully.

2. Among other ways, run ScummVM by double clicking on /usr/games/scummvm.

3. Download the latest development build debian-x86_64-master-latest.tar.xz.

4. Extract latest development build folder (in my case, debian-x86_64-master-832c078d).

5. (Possibly incorrectly?) Change permissions on /usr/games/scummvm and /usr/share/scummvm to allow me to overwrite the 1.8.1 files.

6. Overwrite the 1.8.1 permission-changed files with 1.9.0 files from debian-x86_64-master-832c078d.

7. Confirm /usr/games/scummvm is still executable.

If I double-click on /usr/games/scummvm, nothing happens.

What else do I need to do? Or is there a better method?

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:35 am 
digitall
ScummVM Developer

I would suggest that you avoid overwriting any binaries maintained by the package management system (which for Debian distros such as Debian/Ubuntu/Mint is APT) i.e. binaries in /usr/bin etc. as you will only have issues later when you do future system updates with apt-get.

ScummVM does not need to be "installed", so you can just run it from a subdirectory in your user /home. This allows you to have the system installed version which will be a stable release and then use a newer daily build or two...

I would suggest that you try running that ScummVM executable from a command line terminal window as you will probably find that the binary is complaining about a missing library or similar if not built for the specific distribution you are using i.e. Debian Mint Trusty / Xerial.

If this is so, either use the stable version of ScummVM provided by your distribution or if you do wish to use a bleeding edge daily build, then I would suggest compiling this yourself as you are on a Linux distribution. Instructions for getting the source code and compiling can be found at:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Developer_Central

Post Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:40 pm 
WindlePoons

@albadross

For the latest development build i need libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0.
Check this when start ScummVM from terminal.
without libsdl2-net-2.0-0:

code:
$ scummvm
scummvm: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Install the package libsdl2-net-2.0-0 from your Debian distro.
code:
apt-get install libsdl2-net-2.0-0

Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 am 
Reply to topic