KQ5 FR on 1.8.1 PPC Mac build

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lwbqnt

KQ5 FR on 1.8.1 PPC Mac build

Post by lwbqnt »

I saw that 1.8.1 fixed the broken end-game of KQ5 FR, so I tried the win32 build with a previous savegame just prior, and it worked. Hooray!

Later, I saw that 1.8.1 was built a month later for PPC Mac (1.8.0 never was). Hooray again!

But in trying two different savegame sets, prior to the endgame(but in the castle), it hangs every time.

Is it possible that something was left out of the later PPC Mac build, or perhaps an architecture bug not previously detected? Or are the savegames not supposed to work?
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

The saved games are supposed to be compatible.
I would have to look into that.

Are both of your platforms hanging or just PPC Mac?

And where exactly is it hanging? Could it be music related somehow?

EDIT: Ah, I see. There was a bug in the SCI script patcher, which caused it not to work properly on BE (Big Endian) platforms. I fixed it on 1.7.2016. Just download a daily build and it should work on PPC Mac.

EDIT2: Just made it through the magic battle in French King's Quest 5 on my OpenPandora (which is Big Endian as well).

EDIT3: It seems we do not offer daily builds for PPC Mac atm, but another dev can make you one. He will probably post it on here. Please keep in mind that right now a bit of code in the SCI engine is broken, which may cause King's Quest 6 to not work properly.
lwbqnt

Post by lwbqnt »

I was only testing Win32 and PPC Mac, and only PPC Mac was hanging.

I was hoping the problem would be something like what you found.. I always read that nothing finds bugs like building for alternate endianness. :)

I'll keep watch for a test build, but I am happy that it will be fixed for hypothetical future PPC Mac release build.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Here is a new build for PPC Mac with the latest source code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5jbwvb558rh0 ... c.dmg?dl=0
Please let us know if the issue is indeed fixed in that version.
lwbqnt

Post by lwbqnt »

Tested, it worked.

The story behind this bug would be interesting to hear. It was shipped, never discovered, never patched?
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

lwbqnt wrote:The story behind this bug would be interesting to hear. It was shipped, never discovered, never patched?
yes

At least French, German and Spanish versions of King's Quest 5 were affected.

If I remember correctly, the very first English release of King's Quest 5 was also broken near the end and could not be completed. In that case though I think there were corrupted resources, which means we can not fix it.

This one here simply has 3 script bugs in total, well the scripts wait for a total of 3 signals, that never happen, because the music doesn't set them.