RogueVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

secreto

Post by secreto »

Progress? HA.
The code being neglected to favor new and unrelated things is all but progress.

Ruining the very foundation of ScummVM. Deviating the code and basic premise and function of the program and project for the benefit of a few who have seized ScummVM...

If you want an RPG VM go and do your own separate project and don't waste the work of others. And hopefully this **** is not for the "leaders" to receive money from this.

You will say and do what you want with what is not yours but,
the reality of the wrongdoing is here.

R.I.P. ScummVM (2001-2010+?)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Geeze dude. Take a chill pill. Despite your protestations of the code getting "neglected" because of the announcement, I notice you don't seem to falling over yourself to pick up the supposed slack and work on adventures yourself. And "I don't know programming" isn't really an excuse. If you feel that strongly about it, you'd take the time to learn. ScummVM has, for many years now, had a good separation of game engines from the core functionality (graphics, sound, I/O, etc.). It would have to, considering that we're now at 50 distinct game engines and counting. :). The inclusion of RPGs wouldn't, and couldn't, ruin that. If you don't like RPGs, you can simply not try to add or play any RPGs that we end up supporting. Or build your ScummVM executable without any of the RPGs enabled.

In any case, there's a difference between upset argument and outright trolling. Please moderate your tone.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

dreammaster wrote:
Graxer wrote:Does this mean that The Learning Company games such as Treasure Cove, Treasure Math Storm and Gizmos and Gadgets may be coming to ScummVM? (Based on the original post) or does this just mean the Carmen Sandiego games might?
I suspect not, since they're not really either adventure or RPG games. Unless they share an engine in common with at least one adventure or RPG game.
Graxer wrote: Starship Titanic is being added too? That's great to hear!
Yes indeed; I've got a pull request for it right now to have it merged into the master codebase. Though there is still a lot of code still to implement, but at least the bulk of the game's core has been reversed and understood.
Oh well, its a shame that those games probably won't be supported, but understandable given that they are ouside the scope of ScummVM. I look forward to your Starship Titanic engine being merged into the codebase though. It is a game that I have hoped support would be added for for many years now!
secreto

Post by secreto »

The only excuses are those that are giving you.

In recent years have been broken several parts and games that costed much work and effort since the beginning of scummVM by some people who thinks that it's his own property. And are ignoring that.
Much people have left, for the tyranny, the abuse. Don't play dumb and blame others for what's been doing and happening.

If feeling ofended by the exposing truth, feel free to ban or accuse, since it's what best do some people.

Perhaps the spirit of the true scummvm will be revived in another form by me or others who really cares...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

secreto wrote: In recent years have been broken several parts and games that costed much work and effort since the beginning of scummVM by some people who thinks that it's his own property.
secreto wrote: Much people have left, for the tyranny, the abuse. Don't play dumb and blame others for what's been doing and happening..
secreto wrote: And hopefully this **** is not for the "leaders" to receive money from this.
These are very interesting words which you say. Could you please enlighten us with a bit more details, what are the "[deliberately] broken games", "[somebody thinks scummVM] is his own property", "Tyranny, the abuse", who are these '"leaders"' seeking money from the project.

Eugene

PS. I never try to feed the trolls, but this looks like a rare exception.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

@secreto, you're right. ScummVM is ruined now. How can we enjoy our adventures now that RPG's will be supported! That just....ruins it all! It's all over. Childhood ruined.

or

I don't care and will still play my adventure games.

There's been hardly that much progress in ScummVM for already supported engines (like SCI, for example) in ages so I don't think supporting RPG is going to change that. If anything, renewed interest in the program for such a big change might re-spark some interest in the older engines. Who knows? Maybe implementing some feature for RPG engines will help solve problems with current adventure engines. I welcome the change, at any rate. I just found it surprising.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

secreto wrote: Much people have left, for the tyranny, the abuse
You seem to be one of them...?
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

MusicallyInspired wrote:There's been hardly that much progress in ScummVM for already supported engines (like SCI, for example) in ages so I don't think supporting RPG is going to change that. If anything, renewed interest in the program for such a big change might re-spark some interest in the older engines. Who knows? Maybe implementing some feature for RPG engines will help solve problems with current adventure engines. I welcome the change, at any rate. I just found it surprising.
There's still people working on support for the older engines behind the scenes. There's been some major additions to the code on the SCI32 front lately. They haven't yet been added to the main codebase, but there's several pull requests containing SCI32 improvements.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Now that the Xeen engine is integrated into the main ScummVM repo, is it okay to already report bugs on it?

There's still that strange bug right at the beginning, when you turn around, enter the tavern and look at the wall to the right: the wall animates through various different wall-types whereas I think it should just animate the torch that's supposed to be there. Probably two parameters got mixed up somewhere. I tried to locate the problem but haven't yet found anything
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Dark-Star wrote:Now that the Xeen engine is integrated into the main ScummVM repo, is it okay to already report bugs on it?
Heh. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but not yet. At the moment, I'm still actively working on it; mostly on the intros at the moment, since it's given me an easier chance to perfect some of the core graphics functionality, as well as sound and music. As far as in-game itself goes, there's still missing functionality here and there; for example, the game will crash if you try to enter a tent, for example.

I'll let you all know when it's ready for testing.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

It's also worth mentioning that we've adopted a more inclusive attitude towards engine inclusion in the main repo - we're no longer waiting until the games are entirely finished; entirely new engines will be able to be worked on in the main repo from scratch. That way, development will benefit from both Buildbot, and peer review. I see it as helping to avoid situations in the past where broad swathes of the commit history for an engine won't compile under gcc simply because some of us (*cough* *cough*) use Visual Studio for active development. Which in turn makes it less likely future gcc users doing bisects of the code history to track down errors will land on a commit that won't compile.
Terelyn

Re: RogueVM

Post by Terelyn »

dreammaster wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 pm Hmmm.. maybe one day I'll have a look at the xBak engine and see if it's worth taking up. Then we can have more fruitful arguments about whether the game is too 3D to belong in ScummVM or not. ;)
Are there any news regarding this topic?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Terelyn wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:03 am Are there any news regarding this topic?
Not really, no. I had a look at it's disassembly a while back, and confirmed that there was nothing that would make it particularly easy to reverse. Even the existing xBak code wasn't all that helpful, since they made it based on experimentation with the game's data files, so it doesn't have any correlation to the structure of the disassembly I could use. So at the moment, a bunch of other games have the priority.

On the plus side, I'm sure I recently heard of another attempt to reimplement the game, that was using xBak as a reference, and being implemented in full 3d OpenGL. I tried to remember where and search for it, but I didn't have any luck finding it again.
Terelyn

Post by Terelyn »

Thanks for the answer.
dreammaster wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:26 pmOn the plus side, I'm sure I recently heard of another attempt to reimplement the game, that was using xBak as a reference, and being implemented in full 3d OpenGL. I tried to remember where and search for it, but I didn't have any luck finding it again.
It isn't listed in the website that gathers information about all open-source remakes.
https://osgameclones.com/

Anyway, are there any plans to implement other RPG engines into ScummVM?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Terelyn wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:15 pm It isn't listed in the website that gathers information about all open-source remakes.
https://osgameclones.com/

Anyway, are there any plans to implement other RPG engines into ScummVM?
Yes. For one thing, I was in progress converting the Freedink engine to run in ScummVM earlier in the year, and it supports not only the original Dink Smallwood game, but also a ton of custom fan games. For personal reasons, I decided to take a break from working on it to instead work on Might and Magic 1 - for which I'm also experimenting with adding an enhanced mode that uses the user interface of the later Xeen games to improve the look and feel of the original. Once that's done, I'll likely return to finish dink.