Devices with no Menu button

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mac_es

Devices with no Menu button

Post by mac_es »

Hello,

In devices with no Menu button how can we toggle the keyboard?

I have only back button, which if I keep pressed I got the Scummvm Menu (it's tricky as If I release the back button the menu disappears) At least I can save in games as the keyboard pop ups when entering the savegame name. :lol:

Long time ago, in WinCE port if you double tap in the upper right corner of the screen the keyboard was displayed. May I suggest something like that?

I was thinking playing Indiana Jones and the last crusade but with no fight option it's quite difficult whithout reading the walkthorugh to avoid fighting...

Ah! My device is an Samsung S6 Edge with Android 6.0.1

Thank you
Dabeat

Post by Dabeat »

you hold down the menu button, if you don't have the hardware menu key, there should be a virtual/software/on screen menu key, for example on my tablet it's three dot's in the lower right corner, you hold it down like you would the hardware menu button and the kyeboard pops up
goetz

Post by goetz »

Recently a simple solution to your problem with the missing menu button appeared: the SDL build. It only uses the back key and has a transparent button for the keyboard in the top left of the screen.

You can find it in the Download section of the ScummVM website: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

Hello,

I use my own compiled version as I have disabled some screens/ some logic on some games as I don't use to have the user manuals with my mobile :oops:

So I will go for compiling the SDL framework for android... are there any instructions?

Cheers
Flexman

Post by Flexman »

goetz wrote:Recently a simple solution to your problem with the missing menu button appeared: the SDL build. It only uses the back key and has a transparent button for the keyboard in the top left of the screen.
This seems to be the version that is currently in the Google Play Store.

It works better, but a transparent Menu button wouldn't hurt, since you have to press 4 Buttons to get into the Menu (like Keyboard-Button, Shift, 123, and then F5).
Flexman

Post by Flexman »

Oh I noticed, with the device configuration of ScummVM I can enable Button 3 for example which is F5. That will do it![/i]
gah303

Working on nVidia Shield TV?

Post by gah303 »

I think I read everything about virtual keyboard on Android, but i don't get it. I run ScummVM on my nVidia Shield TV and use the shipped nVidia controller for moving the cursor, which works fine. I can access the Scumm Menu as well (mapped to several buttons of the gamepad per default), but I do not get a virtual keyboard, which I need e.g. for the copy protection of Monkey Island 2 right at the beginning.

I read somewhere that there are (maybe few) players, which use ScummVM on nVidia Shield TV - did anyone find a solution for the virtual keyboard on a device without touch?

I tried the Android SDL menu but have no clue, which settings could enable the virtual keyboard on my Shield TV.

Thanks for reading!