Touchpad mode on the Android app

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Johnny88

Touchpad mode on the Android app

Post by Johnny88 »

Hey fellow adventure fans!

First of all, as it is my first time to post hier at the SCUMMVM forum, I have to thank the SCUMM VM developer community for creating this awesome project and also keeping up with the newest trends (prividing ports for Android and other new devices). I am a huge adventure fan and without you guys I guess I would have to buy a 386 on ebay just to relive some childhood memories.

Sorry for the long introduction, now to my problem.

Somehow I cannot activate touchpad mode on the newest Android app. The old trick with enabling the check box in the MIDI preferences does not seem to do the trick anymore (I already looked into the Wiki). I relaunched the app several times after but still nothing. I do not find any other option to activate the touchpad mode and with the default control mode, the games are nearly unplayable.

I did try to find a solution via the search function of the forum, but I did not find one that fixed the "problem".

Can any of you guys help?

Kind regards,

Jonas
HappehLemons

Post by HappehLemons »

More info would be good, such as what device you are using and what Android version you are on. The latest version of ScummVM works for me in trackpad mode on both my Nexus 9 (Android 5.0) and MiPad (Runs on a custom 4.4.2 kitkat rom)
Johnny88

Post by Johnny88 »

Hey there and thanks for your reply.

Here are some more information about my phone:

Phone: UMI Zero

Scumm VM version: It should be 1.7.0. (the latest version)

Greetings,

Jonas
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Johnny88: Please test with the latest nightly master development build (v1.8.0git) from here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

Instructions and help on installing these can be found in other threads in this forum and here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Daily_Builds
Johnny88

Post by Johnny88 »

digitall wrote:Johnny88: Please test with the latest nightly master development build (v1.8.0git) from here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

Instructions and help on installing these can be found in other threads in this forum and here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Daily_Builds

Same issue i'm afraid... :( Tried the latest builds for Android...
Hit_the_Road_Jack

Post by Hit_the_Road_Jack »

:?
Hello all,

since i´ve upgraded my Moto G 2nd gen LTE from Android 5.0 to 6.0 (Marshmallow) i have the Problem that touchpad mode is no longer available or working. Google Playstore Version 1.7.0a i think.

Tried of course the guide to toggle it http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android/Guide

And also the builds apk 1.8.0 and 1.9.0.

I think it was my fault to upgrade to shitty Android 6.0.

Has anyone else this issue?

Greetings
Andi

*** Update --> Using 1.5.0 apk now everything is fine again
goetz

Post by goetz »

Running a recent 1.8.0 snapshot on Nexus 5X with Android 6.0 (now 6.0.1) and both input modes work fine. No issues with ScummVM on that Android version.

Seems to be an issue with your specific device version of the OS.

Update: just tested with ScummVM latest stable buildbot build (1.8.1pre... from Mar 20) and development build (1.9.0... from Mar 22). In both versions both input modes work fine.
Hit_the_Road_Jack

Sorry I have to say this but I've used probably the same Builds like you.

Using Moto g 2nd gen with LTE Android 6.0

For me it is no Problem using the old Version 1.5.0. I appreciate the work of the scummvm Team. Somehow i find it a little bit sad that I cannot install scummvm directly from playstore because of this issue, but it is no big deal.

Bought yesterday DOTT remastered :) have all Steam Achievements now:))

And Touchpad Mode did not worked on my device. Could not activate it. I've restarted of course and closed scummvm after trying to switch to Touchpad Mode. Cursor was always where my Finger tip was. This is not very comfortable for example when adding the games and even in Game is it also not useful. I prefer tp Mode.

I am sure that it is not me the user the issue. It is my Moto i think. Just wanted to warn other Users not to install.

But thank you for trying it on your Nexus.
When I had my Nexus 4 tp Mode also worked.

Greetings Andi
goetz

Post by goetz »

I heard about the release of DOTT Remastered this week. DOTT is one of my favourite games and it is nice to see that those games (from mid 1990s) are still being worked on! A couple of months ago I played Grim Fandango Remastered and enjoyed it a lot, especially with the new touch screen controls. :)

One thing about the issues you mentioned is very strange: Every time, I installed ScummVM on Android, TP mode was the default input mode (as it also says on the wiki page). I know that because nowadays I prefer direct mode, where you just click by touching, not bothering about the cursor. Each time I install a new version, I have to change to direct mode as expected.

It is good to have both modes and both modes should be working. Different users like different kind of input.

Something strange is going on on Moto g with Android 6/UMI Zero on Android 4.4 and ScummVM, that even the default behaviour is different. Maybe some feature detection (for buttons) going wrong here? :roll:
Hit_the_Road_Jack

For me only 1.5.0 is working in touchpad mode (Moto G 2nd Gen LTE).
I am not sure if touchpad mode ever worked with moto g. Upgraded last year after my Nexus 4 died.
Searched even all Input Options to maybe Change something there, but no success.

I am happy with it like it is, using 1.5.0.
MCGA

Post by MCGA »

I have the same problem with my Moto G2 and Android 6.

Glad 1.5 works, so I'll need to grab it.

I'm hoping this is fixed with the newer versions, so that I can use the MT32 emulation -- which I just read isn't working yet either.
MCGA

Post by MCGA »

Happy to see 1.8.1 show up in the store this last week.

Everything works fines on my Samsung Note 10.1, but the touch-mode still doesn't work on my G2, so my fat thumb is always in the way of the tiny cursor regardless of the Mixed/Adlib mode being checked or unchecked.

I'm wondering how I can contribute to getting a fix for the Moto G2?
goetz

Post by goetz »

My advice: try the SDL build.

On startup there is a button on top of the screen which lets you enter the configuration. There you also have mouse emulation settings with many tweaks including a setting for "relative mode/Laptop mode", which is the touchpad mode you are looking for.

Much cleaner and better configuration than with the hidden Ad-lib mode switch. ;)
MCGA

Post by MCGA »

Thanks. I didn't know there was a SDL build, so I'll need to look into it. :)

I just recalled it was Android 6 that broke touchmode, but I only have one device with it installed, so I'm wondering if it's a problem across the board?

I found this SDL version:
http://anddev.at.ua/load/scummvm_svn55436/1-1-0-7

Is that the right one? If not, then I still have hope. Relative mode doesn't work on the SDL version either with my Moto G2. But its full scree mode makes it easier for me to press the buttons at least.
goetz

Post by goetz »

The problem with touchmode is specific to some devices. In general it is running fine on Android 6, too, like on the Nexus 5X with Android 6.0.1 I have.

The SDL builds can be found on the following ScummVM page -- look for Android SDL downloads:

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

Don't know that version you linked to, but that seems like an unofficial build on first sight.[/quote]