"GM Emulation" (for MT32 games)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crumby

"GM Emulation" (for MT32 games)

Post by crumby »

Hello,

I have a SoundCanvas and recently i tried Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. While the "MT32 mode" of the SC-55 was ineffective, the MT-32 -> GM conversion done by SCUMMVM (called "GM Emulation" in the doc) seems prety well done.

I was wondering if this "GM Emulation" is a mapping common to all games (or all Lucasart games) in SCUMMVM, or if each game got his special MT32->GM conversion map ?

Also i would like to give my thought about something i find confusing in the graphical interface of SCUMMVM :

The MT-32 Tab has a checkbox called "True MT-32 mode". But since we should use the output from the Midi Tab to use the GM or "GM Emulated" version of a game, what is the point of this checkbox ? (Obvisouly if we use the output of the MT-32 Tab, it is for outputing a genuine MT-32 stream)

Thank you
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: "GM Emulation" (for MT32 games)

Post by LordHoto »

crumby wrote:Hello,

I have a SoundCanvas and recently i tried Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. While the "MT32 mode" of the SC-55 was ineffective, the MT-32 -> GM conversion done by SCUMMVM (called "GM Emulation" in the doc) seems prety well done.

I was wondering if this "GM Emulation" is a mapping common to all games (or all Lucasart games) in SCUMMVM, or if each game got his special MT32->GM conversion map ?
All LEC games share the same instrument mapping. Most engines use the same mapping for playing MT-32 MIDI on GM devices. A notable exception is SCI.

crumby wrote:Also i would like to give my thought about something i find confusing in the graphical interface of SCUMMVM :

The MT-32 Tab has a checkbox called "True MT-32 mode". But since we should use the output from the Midi Tab to use the GM or "GM Emulated" version of a game, what is the point of this checkbox ? (Obvisouly if we use the output of the MT-32 Tab, it is for outputing a genuine MT-32 stream)

Thank you
Yes, this is really confusing and caused people to setup their output incorrectly in the past.
The checkbox you talk about needs to be selected if you connect a MT-32 through an external (to ScummVM) MIDI interface and use the "Preferred Device" setting. Which is actually the main setting I would suggest to use.
The MT-32 and GM device settings only apply to games which prefer one of the two output modes. There is no real list available which lists the games doing this.
crumby

Post by crumby »

Thanks for your input.

Regarding the GM emulation, I have completed Indy FA and finally if the intro works well with GM Emul,. some parts of the game are so-so. Better get a real MT-32 (or emulator) :)

I tried setting only the "prefered device" on "Audio Tab" (selecting my USB midi interface) and indeed it will output GM (even for MT32 games) unless you check the box.
It makes sense this way but then, are the "GM Device:" and "MT-32 Device:" settings in MIDI and MT-32 tabs really necessary ?