ScummVm in Education environment?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Teach

ScummVm in Education environment?

Post by Teach »

Hi All,

I'm a teacher in Australia. I want my kindergarten class to be able to use Just grandma and me.

I have struck two problems.
1. I installed ScummVM, setup the game and made shortcuts under my user account. It all works fine. I then copied the settings to other computers using my user account. However, when a kinder logs on using their account, it hasn't registered that ScummVM has been installed. Is there a solution?

2. The music sound for Just granma has a pronounced hiss.

Appreciate any help,

Regards,

I
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Hi, this is exciting to hear!

We would need to have a bit more background, like your OS etc.

But generally, ScummVM does not really require any installation. In your case there are 3 components which will be needed to make the game work on any computer:

1. ScummVM executable (and possibly shortcut to it from the desktop)
2. Game data, which you put into some common path or even network-accessible folder
3. scummvm.ini config file which contains the reference to the game after you press 'Add Game...' button within ScummVM.

The scummvm.ini file location is OS-dependent, but on modern Windows it is usually in "\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\scummvm.ini". See section 8.0 of our README for more locations.

But beware, that the path to the game is usually absolute, so either you have to put the game on a shared network drive accessible from every computer, or put it into some fixed place like d:\Game.

Speaking of the hiss, we need more details from you, see FAQ entry on reporting bugs.

Eugene
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

sev wrote:The scummvm.ini file location is OS-dependent, but on modern Windows it is usually in "\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\scummvm.ini". See section 8.0 of our README for more locations.
In this particular case, I would suggest putting the ScummVM install, config file and gamedata in a shared location, eg network drive.

You can then create a ScummVM shortcut with the command line parameter "--config=D:\game\scummvm.ini" - this will allow you to share the same configuration across multiple accounts.
Teach

thank you

Post by Teach »

Hi Ender and Sev,

Thankyou both for your replies and apologies for the lack of information.
Our machines are windows 7 64bit. But I don't know what the server environment is. I'm assuming microsoft as well as they seem to have the det contract.

Ender so I could create a folder in our g network drive and call it something like "Granma" Inside that I could save the ScummVM install (which I assume is the program), the just granma game data and scummvm.ini
The shortcut should then look like:
"G:\granma\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f granma-win --config=g:\granma\scummvm.ini

Is that correct?

Regards,

I
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, that should work.

Eugene
Teach

Post by Teach »

Hi guys,

I'm doing something wrong. I created a shortcut with:

"P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f grandma-win --config=P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\scummvm.ini

and I got an error. I took two screenshots one of the error and one of the directory structure.
https://schoolsnsw-my.sharepoint.com/pe ... 07%3a37+PM

https://schoolsnsw-my.sharepoint.com/pe ... 08%3a26+PM
[/img]
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Teach wrote:Hi guys,

"P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f grandma-win --config=P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\scummvm.ini
You'll have to put quotation marks around the path you pass to --config. A space indicates another parameter starts, thus you effectively passed "P:\Composite\Stage" as config file. and "1\ed" "sofware\scummvm.ini" as additional parameters.
Teach

Post by Teach »

LordHoto wrote:

You'll have to put quotation marks around the path you pass to --config. A space indicates another parameter starts, thus you effectively passed "P:\Composite\Stage" as config file. and "1\ed" "sofware\scummvm.ini" as additional parameters.
So are you saying that I need to do it this way?
"P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f grandma-win --config="P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\scummvm.ini"
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Teach wrote:
LordHoto wrote:

So are you saying that I need to do it this way?
"P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f grandma-win --config="P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\scummvm.ini"
Yes, that should work.
Teach

Post by Teach »

Hmmm still getting an error. Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong?

T
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Teach wrote:Hmmm still getting an error. Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong?

T
You could try to move the game name to the end of the parameters.

So like this:

"P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f --config="P:\Composite\Stage 1\ed software\scummvm.ini" grandma-win
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Teach wrote:Hmmm still getting an error. Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong?
What does the error say?

Eugene
Teach

Post by Teach »

m_kiewitz that worked! :) Thank You Thank you to you and all the other people who contributed to this thread!!!

I'm looking forward to doing LB with Kindy Monday.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Awesome you made it work.

Followed the thread as lurker and happy to see ScummVM being used for education :-)